Power adaptor for Tascam 424 MK3 4 track cassette recorder

dcampell

Looking for Power adaptor for Tascam 424 MK3 4 track cassette recorder.

I bought a used Tascam 424 mk3 4 track recorder on Ebay w/o a power supply and now can't find an original power supply. Tascam doesn't sell them anymore and because it uses a special 6 pin male plug, I can't use a generic power supply.

The specs are as follows:
Input: 120V AC 60Hz 35 W
Output: 11.6V AC x 2 1260ma

Any suggestions for building one also welcomed.

This is the type of male plug it uses: Pack of 2 Standard 6 Pin Din Plug Audio Connector (725) | eBay

Try Amazon under CJP-Geek. There was one that looked close. This pic was cutoff at the connector.

http://cpc.farnell.com/deltron-encl...ckel-standard-din-plug/dp/CN00039?CMP=CPC-PLA
That ^ could be the plug you need but beware! There are two forms of DIN connector the A and the B type. The pins are indexed differently so watch out.
Din plugs are also a PITA to solder for the uninitiated so it might be better to find a made up 6 pin cable and chop it? To get the 2x12V you will need to kludge two wall rats!

Self build? That would be my pref' option. You would need a ~40va* toroidal transformer with two 12V@~1.5A secondaries. These are common and quite cheap, most traffs have two secondary windings to get split supplies.
If you go DIY you could fir a 6pin socket (breeze to solder) and use a complete DIN cable saving on hair, contributions to the cussbox and BP!

*I suspect 35W is a bit OTT? I would bet a 30va toroid would be fine. NB. You need to observe safety when building mains powered kit. Proper sleeving and boots on mains side wiring, Fusing on the primary side needs thought, BOEnv gives me a 315mAT fuse fior the input but you might have to uprate that in steps. No fusing is needed in the secondaries IMO and would be pointless anyway. I suggest a combined conn/fuse/switch IEC connector.

Go for a "Class 2 insulation" traff. Wee bit more $$s but no earth loop hassles!
Can do a scribble if you want.

Dave.

Ecc83,

Thanks for taking time to reply, but I am not an electronics expert and the lingo you used is way over my understanding. So, unless I can find someone to build it for me, I'll keep looking for a used one. Thanks anyway.

Ecc83,

Thanks for taking time to reply, but I am not an electronics expert and the lingo you used is way over my understanding. So, unless I can find someone to build it for me, I'll keep looking for a used one. Thanks anyway.

Ah! But you did say "Any suggestions for building one also welcomed." ?

Dave.

I went through this same thing last summer. Got a 424 MKIII for $40 w/ no power supply and forgot how hard they are to find. I looked everywhere. I even had some friends in different cities/countries looking for one but came up empty. I finally saw one for auction on ebay and got it for almost $70. Considering what I paid for the 424 it's not a bad overall cost but paying that much for an adapter hurt a little.

I think that's yr only option if you want to find one within the next couple of months. I see them come up on there every once in a while and they always go for around $70-80. Keep an eye out.

I would think you should just be able to get the specifics (mA, voltage, and tip polarity) and then use one of those universal adjustable ones. I did that for years with a 414, and it worked great.

Back