Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

Overwhelming Majority

Guys, it's been a while, I've been busy making work! Here is a short film I made called Overwhelming Majority, it's been screening at festivals and now I give it to the Internet. It's an experimental documentary about alienation, loneliness, social anxiety, mental illness. In light of recent events I thought it was about time that the world heard this message, I hope it will incite discussion and change the world.

I recorded all the music using my Arturia Minibrute analog synthesizer recording on the Tascam 244 Portastudio, mixed/finished in ProTools. As an aside, it was also shot on film. I consider this project to be music, not only in what we hear but in how we look: it is a composition of images and editing, as much as spoken and pitched sound.

Here's the link. Overwhelming Majority – A film by Joseph Irvin

Last edited:
Tried my hand at ambient composition. I think ambient and analog go hand in hand, very fun to make but hard to get a good guitar sound. I was struggling with a click guitar tone, any suggestions?
basis by 32 Partials | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I used some accordion too which I find is a fantastic instrument!
I recorded this on a fostex 16 track half inch and mixed with an old aries console

This is quite cool. I dig!

What exactly do you mean by "click guitar tone?"

Hey guys!

I'm from the Netherlands and my album just came out a few days ago and everything was recorded in my bedroom on an 8 track cassette recorder. Before you say anything about shitty sound quality with cassette multitracks, listen to the songs. I think they sound SO good for cassette. Everything was recorded with just one Sm-57 into a compressor and cheap mixer before going to the cassette multitrack. I'm just going to share the whole album but if I had to choose one song to listen to, you should check out "Alone".

Thanks for listening and tell me what you think about it :)

Here's the link Spotify Web Player - I Am Leaving Today - Thoughts of Alexander

I also have a full gear list if anyone wants to know

Oh, and I'd also like to hear the gear list. What did you use for reverb on the BG vocals of "Alone?"

I dig! Thanks for posting.

What are you using for drums?

Thanks
Microphones? I don't remember that recording session, but usually it's a Superlux S241u as overhead, pointing at the snare and some random mic like an Shure Sm58 for the Bassdrum (but most of the times the bassdrum is not really audible anyway).

Thanks
Microphones? I don't remember that recording session, but usually it's a Superlux S241u as overhead, pointing at the snare and some random mic like an Shure Sm58 for the Bassdrum (but most of the times the bassdrum is not really audible anyway).

Sorry ... I should have been more specific.

What I meant was what kind of kit is it? Are you playing the drums?
Never heard of the Superlux before. Are you happy with that mic? Seems to get pretty good reviews.
Are you using an external power supply or external pre? I forgot if you mentioned it before, but what 4-track model(s) do you use?
Do you print compression on the drums when you record them?

Thanks!

I like that mic. But what do i know :E
The Kit is a 14x5,5 Sonor Smart Force steel snare, the cheapest 16" floor tom from the Thomann shop as bassdrum, an old no-name entry kit wood snare as tom, an 1970s 14" Ufip Ritmo Hihat & 1970s 20" Ufip Ritmo Ride. Remo Ambassador Coated Heads on everything except snare reso. And i played it

The Mic Preamps are a mix of the built-in pre's of the Tascam 424 mk1, the Yamaha MT8XII (has phantom power on 2 inputs) & an Art Tube MP/C.
No compression on anything other than tape/dbx compression when recording too hot. The whole mix goes through an software limiter after recording it to the computer.

Last edited:

This is intended to be the closing track on next year's album, which still has no name. Many synthesizers were used, including a GEM RPx piano module which I've recently acquired, and the Waldorf Pulse which has generally been sidelined by the Moog Voyager, but is really good for unusual sound effects like the strange spacey noises heard at the end.
Recording was done on an Otari MX80 24-track recorder, with a TASCAM TSR-8 used for vocals and bass, and also the tape-reversal effects since it's easier to flip a 1/2" tape over than a 2" one.
Mixing was done to a Studer A807, and there was also a little razor editing.

The (digital) pipe organ was recorded with the meters slamming and this has not sounded as cool as I had hoped so I will probably redo that before the final version.

I haven't played or recorded anything since 2010 or so. So now I have a go on the Tascam 424 4 track cassette machine and a bunch of old shit and mics. I had no idea how this was going to come out, I just made it up as I went along. It's a bit one chordal, naïve, repetitive, doesn't have much of a structure and it's a bit hissy. :facepalm: There's a bunch of bounce downs and track re-using going on. It was fun though, I think I need beer. :)

Last edited:
I haven't played or recorded anything since 2011 or so. So now I have a go on the Tascam 424 4 track cassette machine and a bunch of old shit and mics. I had no idea how this was going to come out, I just made it up as I went along. It's a bit one chordal, naïve, repetitive, doesn't have much of a structure and it's a bit hissy. :facepalm: There's a bunch of bounce downs and track re-using going on. It was fun though, I think I need beer. :)

Fun stuff! So did you sync the synth to your 424?

No, it's running the step sequencer pattern that went down first, everything else was then based around that including the synth lead. I just turned it on when I videoed the stereo mix to make the lights flash :rolleyes: That synth's so old it's pre MIDI :)

Last edited:
Yamaha CS30 mono analogue JP - the black knobbed bastard. 1977 I think. I don't really understand it that well, mostly it seems to control me. :)

WP_20171109_08_39_27_Pro (2).jpg

No, it's running the step sequencer pattern that went down first, everything else was then based around that including the synth lead. I just turned it on when I videoed the stereo mix to make the lights flash :rolleyes: That synth's so old it's pre MIDI :)

Ha! The more flashing lights the better! :)

I haven't played or recorded anything since 2010 or so. So now I have a go on the Tascam 424 4 track cassette machine and a bunch of old shit and mics. I had no idea how this was going to come out, I just made it up as I went along. It's a bit one chordal, naïve, repetitive, doesn't have much of a structure and it's a bit hissy. :facepalm: There's a bunch of bounce downs and track re-using going on. It was fun though, I think I need beer. :)

Nice!

This is a later take of a song from my next album. I think I posted a demo of it earlier this year. Here's a video showing the multitrack, work tape for the bass, and the stereo master. There's also a few clips of the tape loop used during the mid-section, and the edits made during the... join thing. Aside from various things like reverse cymbals I also did some strange varispeed stuff with the bass, which is how the last note is not normally possible on a 4-string bass with standard tuning. Enjoy, or not, since this kind of length, complex stuff isn't exactly in vogue at the moment.

YouTube

Here's a Youtube video off my full album that came out new year's day on Eyes Closed Recordings!

It's available to stream on Spotify, Apple Music, and for dl on iTunes.

There's going to be cassettes for sale soon and I will link to my bandcamp in case anybody wants the analog version. The vinyl release is still some months away.

This is the project that I did on my Fostex Model 80 (with "Indian Orchard" recorded on the Tascam 246) and then mixed and mastered on Logic. I did almost all of it in my, and some friends, apartments around NYC. It was a real learning experience when it came to mixing and mastering it because I'd never really done a project of this scope in a DAW before, but in the end I'm happy with the results. Thanks for all the encouraging feedback to everyone who took the time to listen to the demos I posted over the summer and I really hope you enjoy it.

YouTube

Back