Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

Recorded this quietly in the middle of the night. I miked the electric bass without an amp; i have put the bass on the back of the acoustic guitar for some resonance. Still pretty quiet and hard to record, though.

Last edited:

Recorded this quietly in the middle of the night. I miked the electric bass without an amp; i have put the bass on the back of the acoustic guitar for some resonance. Still pretty quiet and hard to record, though.

I like that. It's got a similar vibe to the Magic Hero stuff LoneWhitefly has been doing.

Anyway, here's my latest project:

Vocals, bass and the samples of the malfunctioning clock were tracked on a TSR-8, before being copied to an Otari MX80 for the final mix. The final section with the echo feedback was done using a Watkins Copicat. Mine has been modded to add an independent power switch for the motor. However this tends to make a big pop in the audio circuitry so I ended up recording it direct to 1/4" tape and splicing the pop out, before copying it back onto the multitrack. I wasn't really able to do a good threatening countdown, so I used varispeed to try and make it sound a little more menacing. Likewise the times table section was done with varispeed and 5 layers of overdubbing that got bounced to a stereo pair on the 24-track.

Things I did differently this time included redesigning the vocal chain so the 5051 channel strip went through my old Art Levelar to act as a limiter, and also putting a spare 5021 compressor into one of the mixer groups so I could smooth out the vocals during mixdown. I was a little worried that having as so many valves in the signal chain would increase the noise too much but it sounds decent enough to me.
Things which need to be fixed include a bit where the electric bass and the Waldorf synthesizer do different things with jarring results, and erasing some of the bumps and thumps around the vocals, usually me leaving the room.

I like that. It's got a similar vibe to the Magic Hero stuff LoneWhitefly has been doing.

Anyway, here's my latest project:

Vocals, bass and the samples of the malfunctioning clock were tracked on a TSR-8, before being copied to an Otari MX80 for the final mix. The final section with the echo feedback was done using a Watkins Copicat. Mine has been modded to add an independent power switch for the motor. However this tends to make a big pop in the audio circuitry so I ended up recording it direct to 1/4" tape and splicing the pop out, before copying it back onto the multitrack. I wasn't really able to do a good threatening countdown, so I used varispeed to try and make it sound a little more menacing. Likewise the times table section was done with varispeed and 5 layers of overdubbing that got bounced to a stereo pair on the 24-track.

Things I did differently this time included redesigning the vocal chain so the 5051 channel strip went through my old Art Levelar to act as a limiter, and also putting a spare 5021 compressor into one of the mixer groups so I could smooth out the vocals during mixdown. I was a little worried that having as so many valves in the signal chain would increase the noise too much but it sounds decent enough to me.
Things which need to be fixed include a bit where the electric bass and the Waldorf synthesizer do different things with jarring results, and erasing some of the bumps and thumps around the vocals, usually me leaving the room.

Thanks!
I liked your track, i'm not really into the vocals though

Got a new one, a little sloppy at times:

Last edited:
Here's one I just finished. Recorded on the Akai MG1214. The mix is kinda all over the place, as is the playing.:D
And I feel as though I have ripped off an existing song. Just can't put my finger on it:confused:

What a nice little tune! I love the sounds and melodies. And the I - i - bVII - bvii - bVI - V progression is nice too!

Thanks for sharing. This would make a great film score piece.

Here's one I just finished. Recorded on the Akai MG1214. The mix is kinda all over the place, as is the playing.:D
And I feel as though I have ripped off an existing song. Just can't put my finger on it:confused:

Nice one!

Nirvana immediately jumped into my mind when the song started. I think the groove definitely reminded me of "Lithium," but the progression is different, as are all the melodies, of course. But I think that's the song that it reminds me of. Is that it by chance?

What a nice little tune! I love the sounds and melodies. And the I - i - bVII - bvii - bVI - V progression is nice too!

Thanks for sharing. This would make a great film score piece.

Thanks. I like weird chord progressions; and i like that someone noticed it :e

Sounds like Duane Eddy or something i think.
Sadly, there's some rather ugly distortion on the louder guitar parts and the amp is noisy. It's just a Fender Frontman 25R without the reverb tank.
I put the whole mix REAL LOUD through the Art Tube MP/C with opto-compressor. I tried to make it sound 1950s

Last edited:
There's no way this one "kinda sucks" !
For a 4 track cassette, it sounds great!
Thanks
it's just this song really frustrated me while playing/recording it; somehow i thought everything is performed way to sloppy, especially the brush drums, it never sounded quite right to me when listening back. Sometimes it sucks when you do everything yourself; you can't be good at every instrument & at "engineering". Recording music is often frustrating for me for that reason; when you want to do something, hear it in your head, but you just can't do it good enough or barely at all. And most of my equipment is faulty, nothing is working properly, it makes me angry sometimes. :E It's funny that almost all of my music is pretty chill, i should to hardcore punk because of all that frustration.

Last edited:
Thanks
it's just this song really frustrated me while playing/recording it; somehow i thought everything is performed way to sloppy, especially the brush drums, it never sounded quite right to me when listening back. Sometimes it sucks when you do everything yourself; you can't be good at every instrument & at "engineering". Recording music is often frustrating for me for that reason; when you want to do something, hear it in your head, but you just can't do it good enough or barely at all. And most of my equipment is faulty, nothing is working properly, it makes me angry sometimes. :E It's funny that almost all of my music is pretty chill, i should to hardcore punk because of all that frustration.

I thought the drums sounded great, and the tune was very cool. The only thing that stuck out, mixwise, to me was that the melody guitar seemed too loud. Other than that, I dug it! Thanks for sharing!

I thought the drums sounded great, and the tune was very cool. The only thing that stuck out, mixwise, to me was that the melody guitar seemed too loud. Other than that, I dug it! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you
I agree, the guitar is a bit too loud.
Btw. the greatest enemy of cassette-tape and dbx is the triangle. It seems impossible to record it cleanly.

Last edited:
Girl in the Garden | Electric Scar

Hey everyone...
My friend and I have just finished our first album. It's inspired by Stooges, Stones and lots of other classic rock 'n' roll but there's also some hints to soul and psychedelia. We did the record as a duo with some guest appereances from mates, mostly on backing vocals and now we're rehearsing for playing gigs during the summer and automn. The live musicians are doing a great job and some of them are likely to be full members on the next album. I was sober during almost half of the sessions.

Most regulars in here are probably bored to death about me mentioning the recording chain in this thread but for good measure it's recorded on a Fostex G16C with the noise reduction off and mixed on a DDA Q. There's no digital effects but some spring reverb, tape delay from a Dynacord Echocord and an Akai R2R, bucket brigade echo from a Yamaha E1005 and a bit of echo chamber too when the amount of free tracks on the tapes did allow for a reamp or the noise situation on the corridor did allow for just tracking there. The vocals and bass are usually tracking with compression to tape using a TL Audio 5021. It was later used for parallel comp during mixdown and a cheap Fostex comp sometimes used on the snare drum and maybe other stuff.
Mic wise there's nothing fancy except for a Bang & Olufsen BM3 and an ancient Sennheiser MD421 that belongs to my mate. Apart from that lots of Oktava MK-319, 57's, Beyer Dynamic M201 and Neumann KMS5. Always a AKG D112 on the bass drum since I don't have anything else.

One of the songs is a product of litterally the second time we ever played together despite having been mates for many years. The first time hardly counts as I was randomly handed a guitar at a gig during the final song. Generally the album are rather spontaneous using between one and five takes per song - and I only knew one of the songs before it was actually comitted to tape.

The mastering was done by me in Adobe Audition (I know... but didn't have any other choice) and as last step transferred to a Revox at 15 ips and back.

Back