Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

Thanks. I've always been trying to reproduce the keyboard section of a 1970s progressive rock outfit, Tony Banks from Genesis or Rick Wakeman's solo stuff.
For pure electronics I was rather fond of Michael Garrison's debut album, 'In Regions of Sunreturn' which I think was done on 1" 8-track in the late 1970s.

The 'Wozard of Iz' which I'd not heard of before, is definitely very late 1960s. It sounds a lot like things done by White Noise, or possibly Joe Byrd. I'm not sure it's aged as well as, for example, Wendy Carlos, and it is a little experimental for my taste, but some of it was quite good and I'll have to see if I can find a copy.

I don't really listen to Prog Rock except for some King Crimson stuff, maybe that's why i associate your stuff more with Mort Garrison etc. :e
Couldn't get into Wendy Carlos yet somehow, nor the other more melodic stuff like Jarre etc. Not really my cup of tea.

I was watching this TED talk recently by a journalist I like, and he was using sound to illustrate his talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYemnKEKx0c

I thought it was similar to what we were discussing.

Al
Yeah, movie-like underscoring

Here's another one:

I don't usually do songs of political commentary, and I'm not sure this is one either. I guess it's more an observation that it's relatively easy to get people to do horrific things in the name of a god. And that if he/she finds out, they might not be very pleased about it. (I still haven't decided which god this is, I might retcon it to be one of Merlin's).

Recording-wise, I'm rather pleased with the way the chorus came out. It was tracked over four tracks on the TASCAM, allowing for three-part harmony plus the guy at the back chanting 'tears of joy'. The harmonies themselves were recorded with the machine running 15% slow so that they sounded sped-up and a little creepy when played back at normal speed. The first chorus was totally improvised and as such the harmonies are quite strange - in the later choruses I used more conventional modes of harmony by going back over and over again until it sounded best... one of the few times I could have done with some formal music theory.
I was tempted to go back and redo the first one but I asked around first since I'd probably not be able to get it back how it was originally if I decided it was better. People liked the creepy, odd harmonies so I kept it.

This is also one of the few times I've played around with 5ths on the minimoog. I need to do more of that.

I haven't yet recorded a complete bass track for this, just some spot work where it needed it most. That is something I may or may not fix for the final version, depends how much I like it the way it is now.

I am less pleased with the harpsichord sound on the SK1. Sounds too much like a lute or something. I might rerecord that on the JV1010 or something.

Equipment used:
Soundcraft MFX20, Otari MX80 24-track recorder, TASCAM TSR-8 8-track recorder, Studer A807 stereo recorder
Watkins Copicat (c. 1966), Zoom RFX-2000 (tremolo effect on last verse, misc. delays), Strymon Blue Sky reverb

Hammond XM-1 organ module with Rotosphere Mk2
Hammond SK-1 (pipe organ, piano, harpsichord)
Raspberry Pi running Aeolus (pipe organ bass pedals)
Roland MVS-1, Manikin Memotron, Moog Voyager, Alesis DM10, Waldorf Streichfett string machine, Epiphone Thunderbird Gothic bass

Out of tune music. Too lazy to do the offending parts again. The Radar Men simply have a different overtone series in their dimension.

Last edited:
Out of tune music. Too lazy to do the offending parts again. The Radar Men simply have a different overtone series in their dimension.

I forgot to listen to this. I liked it. Reminds me of a band from about 10 years ago called 'Monsters from Mars', most of their stuff was heavy on the reverb and recorded on a Fostex R8 if I remember right. "Escape from Castle Wolfenstein" is a good example.

I forgot to listen to this. I liked it. Reminds me of a band from about 10 years ago called 'Monsters from Mars', most of their stuff was heavy on the reverb and recorded on a Fostex R8 if I remember right. "Escape from Castle Wolfenstein" is a good example.

Thanks. I listened to Escape from Castle Wolfstein and liked it.
I have to find a new style for the next couple of songs i think, Invasion from Mars, Radar Men etc. are all pretty similar

---------- Update ----------

Cool stuff. I like hearing this. It all has a real retro musical vibe.
Thanks!

This track was cut on a Otari MTR 90 MK 3
2" mixed down to Otari 1/4"

https://allenmichael.bandcamp.com/track/off-the-ground

This one was done on a Tascam MS 16
https://allenmichael.bandcamp.com/track/sixteen

https://allenmichael.bandcamp.com/track/april-wont-last-forever

Check out my music, I do all of my recordings on tape.

https://allenmichael.bandcamp.com/

Cool stuff Allen ... sounds steeeraight out of the 70s! (But in a good way) :)

McAllen, huh? Isn't that scraping the border down there? I'm way up in the Dallas area.

Cool stuff Allen ... sounds steeeraight out of the 70s! (But in a good way) :)

McAllen, huh? Isn't that scraping the border down there? I'm way up in the Dallas area.

Yes sir it is, Im about 5 mins from Mexico. N thank you, I like alot of the 70s and 80s music. I work at a studio here that does analog/digital recording.

Back