Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

jedblue

beep beep beep beep beep
Seeing as we've been talking about this, and seeing as I've just stumbled out of another Lonely Few live to two track recording session here is one of the results.

Fast Food - a song about how the industry has our best interests at heart...

Recorded via the Studer 089 to the Revox PR99 two track 1/4" with all of us in the same room with no effects or compressors using a bunch of old mikes including an AKG C414B-ULS, AKG D190, AKG D112, EV RE10, EV RE11, EV PL6 (x2) EV RE200 and a Sennheiser e606. No di's or AD conversions during recording as usual. Oh, and a megaphone.

Mastered (if you can call it that) to the Nagra 1/4" full track mono recorder through a few bits of outboard and digitized to a 320 kb mp3 via a 48kHz/24 bit .BWF made on the Fostex CR500 master recorder from the Nagra's playback head as it was being mastered...

http://www.mp3.com.au/Forms/MediaView.aspx?MediaId=137080

With a bit of luck, we might get this thread as a sticky?

G

Are there any particular rules or requirements for this?

For example, are digital processors allowed? Most of my instruments are based on sample-playback (albeit emulating vintage instruments).

What about the radio play I'm working on where the dialogue was submitted as MP3 or WAV files by the actors, and then assembled on tape?

For example, are digital processors allowed? Most of my instruments are based on sample-playback (albeit emulating vintage instruments).

What about the radio play I'm working on where the dialogue was submitted as MP3 or WAV files by the actors, and then assembled on tape?

Dunno JP. I guess I meant having a good chunk of tape in there somewhere. Maybe just put a note on the post saying where the tape was used and leave it at that?

Then again, anybody out there recording on wire or cutting vinyl or lacquers? :o\

Any one else care to comment?

http://www.mp3.com.au/Chillband

Side 1 and Side 2.

Recorded summer 2006. Invited band mates over to jam for one day in empty house, set up fostex x-24 four track cassette to record for the day. No eq, overdubs... only had a volume and pan knob. Recorded live straight to cassette then mp3.

I believe it should be for people who track to tape or a good part of there recording was recorded to tape before mixdown. I wouldn't think recording all instruments straight into protools and just slapping the mix to tape then back to mp3 is really an 'analog recording'.

JP, seems like you understood this to be a 'all analog recording' where nothing that are listening to ever went through AD or DA converters (except putting final product on computer). We talked about that 'all analog' stuff a few months ago on here and although it is really really cool, 'pure' analog stuff like Lonely Few by jedblue here is awesome (good work mate) but i dont think we should restrict this thread to only that.

A dance song that only has digital instruments like keyboards and drum loops but recorded to tape sounds awesome in my opinion... i have done stuff like that and would love to hear similar stuff from other people.

So i say digital instruments (drum machines, digital effects, dig processors, keyboards etc.) are fine... just most the stuff recorded should have been tracked to tape.

Last edited:
As analog as it gets>>>>

Recorded in 1976/7 or so. The writer is Tim Gadban from Minneapolis. His band was called d'Gadband. "Ah Ha" is by the drummer, Tim Gries. He said it and I left it in there. Multitrack = Tascam 80-8. Mixdown to Teac 7300-2T. Console = Prototype Auditronics 16x8. Vocal Mic = Neumann U-67. Three drum mics, one on kick and 2 U-67 on overhead. Sparsely used reverb = EMT Plate. I can't recall what was used to "flange" the guitar, but I'm sure it wasn't digital (probably some sort of bucket brigade device). Cut to 4 song EP on Vinyl (either 500 or 1,000 copies were out there). This is an MP-3 from a vinyl dub. I can't find the mixed master, although I think I still have the 1/2" master around here somewhere..... Enjoy and feel free to comment.

Click play on Gamaya. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=818206

Some pix of the studio: http://www.pbase.com/rking401/image/3371040

I've got some others that I would like to upload, but covers can't be uploaded unless in the pulic domain :(. Here's a public domain (I think) cover that was recorded live in concert in probably 1975. Recorded to a Teac 3340, mixed to the same 7300 as above. "Console" = 2 Teac Model 2 with external low z transformer inputs. I also used the 4 mic inputs on the 7300. The band is the Cooper Street Band from Minneapolis. Here's a pic of my location rig (shot the night of this recording): http://www.pbase.com/rking401/image/3371059

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=818206 Click on Sing Gloria

Nice recording Richard. To me I hear alot of The Who in this song.
I was wondering why you took the two track to the live gig?

Well, personally I think you guys should share your stuff with everyone in the MP3 Clinic. Who knows, you might turn a few people on to analog or bring back some former digital converts. I think that by keeping your stuff solely in the Analog section, you're missing out on sharing it with people who wouldn't normally come in here because they are digital. That seems a waste.

But, I also feel it's your section and you guys are the ones who hang out here, so if you want a stickie, I can do that for you. I'll keep an eye on it for a while and if it loses activity, I will unsticky it. Cool??

peace.

Nice recording Richard. To me I hear alot of The Who in this song.
I was wondering why you took the two track to the live gig?

The 7300 has a built in 4x2 mic mixer which I used to get more mic inputs. Interesting you should mention the Who connection. The EP got reviewed by the local music rag and they said the track sounded like a lost track from Quadrophenia. I took that as a great complement. Thanks.

The 7300 has a built in 4x2 mic mixer which I used to get more mic inputs. Interesting you should mention the Who connection. The EP got reviewed by the local music rag and they said the track sounded like a lost track from Quadrophenia. I took that as a great complement. Thanks.

Sounds great! It is a bit Who-esque.
ViP:D

Well, anything that's posted here would have to be digitally sampled at some point...

:P

-MD

The studio song was great Richard. Even from the vinyl source then to MP3 the sounds were very interesting and totally "analogy"! The guitars were very cool and I dug the '70's drum sounds (I'm a sucker for the thuddy, cardboard box tom sound.)

Great thread idea!

Dunno JP. I guess I meant having a good chunk of tape in there somewhere. Maybe just put a note on the post saying where the tape was used and leave it at that?

Then again, anybody out there recording on wire or cutting vinyl or lacquers? :o\

Any one else care to comment?

Tape emulating stuff shouldn't count because it's not really tape. As much analog input as possible for this thread should be used.

The studio song was great Richard. Even from the vinyl source then to MP3 the sounds were very interesting and totally "analogy"! The guitars were very cool and I dug the '70's drum sounds (I'm a sucker for the thuddy, cardboard box tom sound.)

Great thread idea!
Thanks, John. I still remember that as being quite the fun session. I worked with these guys several times over the years. When I get some time I'll post some more ANALOG samples of their work.

Here's another from the same fellow. This was not recorded in the studio, but in the "show room" of the professional audio shop that I used to work at. In a previous life the "show room" was Studio A of Sound 80 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_80) studios in Minneapolis. I used to experiment with new toys when they came in so that I could properly demonstrate equipment to my customers. This song is a result of experimenting with a "new" Klark Teknik Digital Delay unit. The recording though is analog. I believe I used a Tascam 58 as the multitrack. Recoded using a Tascam 520 console and mixed to an Otari MTR-10 (maybe?). This was probably around 1982 or so. The writer, Tim, sort of let me have my way with the song so I went just a bit crazy, suggesting the weird background voices and all the effects. This is called "One Winter's Day on a New York Subway". If you listen closely you can hear the "subway sound" come in after the rather long intro and continuing in the background through the song. The "subway sound" was created by having three of the guys sing "AHHHH" into a microphone and running it through the above KT unit set on an infinite decay reverb setting. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=818206&songID=8167914

Here is a song by my band Kings Pawn. It's the third rehearsal and was messed up by not knowing the song. It has gone through Manny changes since we started and are working on finishing it soon. After uploading it I noticed the sound is VERY VERY bad. I guess it's from going from tape to digital (wave file) to MP3 through Audacity. No EQ Compression or DBX Noise Reduction was used. Buying a DBX 231 EQ this weekend. I'm looking forward to using it. I know things sound horrid without it.
Please, I know it's bad so you don't need to post negative comments. Thanks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=997040

Back