Which Portastudios need power pack?

jgreen

I have a Tascam 424 MK11 that has a built in plug. I am looking to buy a second deck but from what I see both the original 424 and the 424 MK111 require power packs. Would someone explain? Thanks.

Varies

Some of the older & smaller Portastudios used more generic wall-wart type power modules, even some newer ones. Porta 02/mkii, 414/mkii, Porta 07, Porta 05, PortaOne, PortaTwo, 424(std), etc., (generic style). As the power needs and complexity were increased, some high end Portastudios used inline power modules, such as 424mkIII, 788 & 644, with multiple voltage lines & specialized plugs (with multiple pins).

I'm not entirely sure why the differences between the Portastudio power module styles. Suffice to say that separating the power module from the recorder unit decreases the weight of the main recorder section & also keeps the noise generating power elements sufficiently far away from the audio electronics. There may be a cost effective angle for Tascam to produce them this way, not to mention a service angle.

I've always found the attached line cord style of Portastudios to be preferable, but I have both styles. I think a Portastudio by definition should be a 1-piece solution, but an external power module is a 2nd piece. Maybe I'm nit picking on that...?

Always remember to do research and get second hand Portastudios with power supplies included, when applicable. Tascam may still sell genuine replacement power supplies for the likes of the 424mkIII & 788 (check), but you'd be hard pressed to find a 644 p/s replacement, as well as some standalone Tascam mixers. A not-surprising number of Tascam Portastudios go on eBay missing their proprietary style power supply modules. Read the fine print.
:spank::eek:;)

Back