Overheated r2r

BOJAX

hey,
i was running my r2r deck face up on carpet.
i ran a full tape on it stopped it and left it on for about maybe 1 hour total
when I put it back right side up I noticed quite a bit of heat coming from the fan at the back.
but that is not the problem
i tried to run another tape and it ran really slow and then came to a stop, like it didn't have the force to transport a tape.
I opened up the machine to let it cool down
after about one hour, i still noticed that the motor was EXTREMELY hot to the touch :eek:
and the transport was still very slow.
I was never able to slow the capstan down with my own two fingers until now.
can anyone tell me if this problem is fatal?
will i be able to run the machine again once it completely cools down or it is a 30lb paperweight now? :confused:
thanks for any help,
Jamie

akai 1730dss

it seems to be running fine now that i let it cool down a bit

anyone know what was the problem anyway?
does the motor need lubrication?

BOJAX said:
i was running my r2r deck face up on carpet.
Make sure you're not blocking any vents - probably best to run it on a hard surface. Not familiar with your model of Akai but my GX265D has a vent on the back.
BOJAX said:
i tried to run another tape and it ran really slow and then came to a stop, like it didn't have the force to transport a tape.
Could be 'sticky shed' especially if you're running older Ampex tape. Search on this term in this forum and read up on the issue. If the transport was filthy after running this tape then its almost certainly your problem.

If like AKAI's I have owned, there is a fan port on the back . Plaicng it on carpet probably allowed it to sink in and block the fan. This allowed a heat build up, which caused thermal expansion of metal parts in the motor and thus binding/ heavy friction.
Unless it heated up enuff to damage the windings on the motor, probably will survive. I would immedaitely re-lube the motor and other moving parts....undoubtedly get the lube cooked off.

thanks for the help,
it seems to be running fine since it got a chance to cool down a bit

undoubtedly get the lube cooked off.

how would i do this?

jamie

Back