overdubbing issue with a m216 & a 80-8

chillward

Hey there,

I connected every Output of my Teac 80-8 to the Tape In of the M 216 and the Inputs of the 80-8 to the PGM out of the M 216 as described in the M216 manual. I recorded Track 1 on channel 1 without troubles and it also plays back on the monitor. I push the Track 2 button on the 80-8 and I can hear on the monitor track 1 and the stuff I am playing on track 2 so I hit record. As soon as I go back and try to listen to both tracks, there is only track 1 playing and i have no idea where the heck track 2 went. It's my first time overdubbing on a reel to reel so I know there's some stupid newbie mistake but I tried to read through the manual but now I am clueless. Any help would be appreciated so much!!! I even think about getting a Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16/8/2 because at first I thought i could handle the 4 buss faders but now I think 8 would help my frustration level keeping down...

Thanks!

I can't help with the 80-8 specifically, but have you tried this with a track other than 2? Might be worth recording a test tone on all 8 tracks or something, just to make sure it all plays back. Does the meter for track 2 move, i.e. is it just that you can't hear the playback?

I can't help with the 80-8 specifically, but have you tried this with a track other than 2? Might be worth recording a test tone on all 8 tracks or something, just to make sure it all plays back. Does the meter for track 2 move, i.e. is it just that you can't hear the playback?

yes the meter jumps and all tracks should work. I checked all inputs with a multicore rca - 1/4 cable recording guitar tones recording straight. Yesterday I noticed the headphone inputs is kind of noisey I‘ll try it with the monitor boxes today. I am also pretty sure that the M216 is in a bad condition. Faders work really „slow“ means moving them only does little to volume.

What I'd try is doing a simple pass-through test. With the machine idle, attach a test signal (or the guitar) to channel 1, set the output mode to INPUT or whatever it's called on that deck, and make sure that you're hearing it on the mixing desk. Do this for all 8 channels, one by one. If it fails on a given channel, try swapping channels on the mixing desk. That will give you some idea of whether there's a problem with any channels of the deck itself, or whether the mixing desk (or indeed, the cable) is being a problem.

After that, you'll be in a much better position to make sure that overdubbing is working.

What I'd try is doing a simple pass-through test. With the machine idle, attach a test signal (or the guitar) to channel 1, set the output mode to INPUT or whatever it's called on that deck, and make sure that you're hearing it on the mixing desk. Do this for all 8 channels, one by one. If it fails on a given channel, try swapping channels on the mixing desk. That will give you some idea of whether there's a problem with any channels of the deck itself, or whether the mixing desk (or indeed, the cable) is being a problem.

After that, you'll be in a much better position to make sure that overdubbing is working.

Thank you so much JP! I’ll definitley try this!

Back