Otari MX5050 rack mount panels

Fjordfunk

Hi!
I`ve got a standard rack with wheels that i would love to mount my MX5050 in. I have been looking around for rack panels for this so the machine can sit in this 19" space. The only original i found is very expensive and in addition the shipping cost up to me is also very expensive.
I bet there must be some industrial PA standard rack panels/ears i can use with some modifications for a fraction of the price of the original?
I have posted this on another forum and got a reply with a good idea of using angled aluminium. I hope i can get away with a larger panel that allows me to drill holes that fits with the Otari`s side panels and not drilling new holes to its side

Help would be very appreciated
Aron

Yeah, I did this with the TASCAM TSR-8. Found some reasonably-priced rack ears for something else and drilled holes in it to match the holes in the deck.

Otari MX5050 rack mount panel photos

I too am looking for rack mount panels.
I've got Teac and Tascom racks mounts, they're not at all the same. They have 3 holes for the panels.

I found Otari panels for sale on ebay...too late they're sold for $70, but there is photos. There are six panel connecting holes for each panel! Ok, photos show 8 holes.

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600a.jpgs-l1600c.jpg

If anyone has some for sale, I'm interested.

I grabbed a pair of Otari rack panels several years back...and then I never bother to install them on my deck, since the machine was in a straight, vertical rack, but standing up on its legs. Then one day I decided to put them on. :D

I assume you're talking about those roll-around racks that you can tilt up/down...?
There was a time I wanted one...but then realized that it was not really needed, and I could just stick my deck in a straight, vertical rack. I mean, how often do you need to roll the deck around from one side of the room to the other...?

I grabbed a pair of Otari rack panels several years back...and then I never bother to install them on my deck, since the machine was in a straight, vertical rack, but standing up on its legs. Then one day I decided to put them on. :D

I assume you're talking about those roll-around racks that you can tilt up/down...?
There was a time I wanted one...but then realized that it was not really needed, and I could just stick my deck in a straight, vertical rack. I mean, how often do you need to roll the deck around from one side of the room to the other...?

Nope...to install in a straight vertical rack. Takes up less space and is secure.

Nope...to install in a straight vertical rack. Takes up less space and is secure.

I'm not understanding how it takes up less space...the deck is the same size no matter what rack it goes into, so it's going to take up the same space.

I've got mine in a vertical rack that it 1/2 the depth of those roll-around racks when you consider the spread of the wheel base....so in reality, the roll-around racks take up more room, and it's just for one item.
Oh...I'm also not understanding the "more secure" thing...? I mean, the deck is screwed to the rack rails, it's not going anywhere.

Here's mine in the vertical rack...and you can see how much narrower it is than the big 2" deck next to it. The Otari roll-around racks are almost as deep as the big 2" deck is.

Studio03.jpg

Miroslav, I prefer to rack mount if possible. Sitting on a table top takes up room. Sitting on a shelf (in a rack) just isn't as secure as rack mounted.
tape decks-mnt-shelf label.jpg

Miroslav, I prefer to rack mount if possible. Sitting on a table top takes up room. Sitting on a shelf (in a rack) just isn't as secure as rack mounted.

We are talking about the same thing...but this original thread was about rack panels for the *roll around* Otari rack, the ones you can tilt, etc...which is what I thought you were also looking to do. :)

Like one of these things:

otari-mx-5050-rolling-studio-stand_1_5f2d54bfbc2cb75a875457672b4f98bb.jpg

I never said anything about placing the deck on a tabletop. AFA a shelf in a stationary rack....mine sat like that securely for about 5 years, and it never moved...heck, the rack never moved.
That's why they have the legs...and they are too heavy to easily get knocked over...plus I liked how they look with the wood panels better, but now I have the metal rack panels on it. If I didn't have the metal panels, I wouldn't be concerned. They are a rare find these days...I just happened to run across them...some guy had a NOS set in the box...so I bought them, then didn't install them for like 5 years. :D

Back