Otari MX5050 help?

cshorton80

First off, you'll have to forgive me if there's better forum for this, but I figured it was worth a shot...anyway, I recently started working at a local theater and part of my goal has been to go through old equipment. This includes 3 old Otari MX5050 machines. My question is two part:
-Is there an idiot checklist to see if they still work? Even after threading the tape through, I can't get any of the transport controls to work at all. My analog skills are limited, so I'm not sure if I'm just missing something obvious.
-If I can ever get the machines to be at least serviceable, are they even worth trying to sell, or should I just toss them? They are definitely not the later generation models that I've read about, so I doubt they'd even be worth it for parts. Then again, I would hate to throw them away.

Would greatly appreciate any comments or help on this matter...thanks in advance!

Otari machine checklist.

As you will mostly find out on this forum.

Otari machines are very marketable to the collector and studio enthusiast.

As for check list here goes...

1. Check both reels ie: turn them manually while the machine is in the STOP possition to make sure the reel brakes are good and offer resistance when turned manually.

2. Power on the machine and MAKE sure that ALL motors are stationary.
The ONLY time any motor should spin up is when the tape is loaded. As soon as you load the tape the capstan motor should power up but NOT the reel motors.

3. Make sure the tape sit's level on the heads and not off angle. The tape should sit evenly on the heads.

4. Check the pinch roller. It should be not too firm and no cracks or impressions should be visible. Also using finger and thumb squeeze it slightly to make sure it is not too hard.

5. when tape is loaded and the tape is running, make sure the tape does not brush against the reels. After a few hours of running this can increase the wear on the tape and induce oxide depositing. (a brown dust type residue that can be left on or arround the tape travel path and can also get stuck to the heads).

6. check that the reel brakes stop BOTH reels when in fast wind and in playback. Make sure you dont get any overrun on the reels.

7. check input and output on ALL tracks you may need another machine to play audio so you can record it onto a tape and see what it comes out like.
(A calibration tape would be superb for aligning the heads)

Also if you have one you will need precise instructions on how to do this properly - use a demagnetizer and demagetize the tape heads and any metal guide posts on the tape travel path.

IMPORTANT - DO NOT turn on the demagnetizer in close proximity to the machine as the magnetic field generated by the demagnetizer when turned on can have a negative effect on the machine. (It can magnetize things instead of what it is SUPPOSED to do) note - The safe distance from the machine for turning on a demagnetizer is THREE FEET.

8. Also IF you can... make sure there are no cracks or splits in the drive belt (if any)

9. Make sure the tape counter is working. (If it is an anologue tape counter make sure none of the digits stick or get stuck as the tape is running)

10. do a visual inspection of the tape travel path especially the heads. the surface of the heads should be clean and scratch free. Also check to make sure there is no exessive wear on the heads ie: abnormal head level (slight mis-shaping of the contact part of the heads.

11. check the VU meters on playback to make sure they are registering input and that all VU lamps are working.

12. Also check to see if any control knobs are missing. And also check to make sure there is no damage to the mains power cord and the main body of the machine.

Ok.

If this is fine then you have a good machine that will be valuable and marketable.

A machine like this could go for as much as £500+ in Uk or $600 to $800 U.S maybe even more depending on physical condition and working order.

I Love these machines and if i had the money i would jump at the chance to own one of these as they are truely exceptional machines. And are extremely well built.

Studer and Otari are some of the TOP manufactures of the days of reel to reel.

Hope this info helps

Keith

About transport controls

Ok about your question about transport controls.

The transport controls will ONLY work IF the tape is correctly run through the travel path. now the layout on most machines should be fairly straight forward.

On most machines there is a guide post or tension arm that has an automatic stop control attached to it from the inside of the machine without this in possition when the tape is loaded the transport controls WON'T work.

So you will need to check this carefully.

I have 2 machines here but they are not otari so the tape path layout may vary so i will give you an example based from the machines i have.

1st - the tape needs to come down and under the first post from the LEFT reel then there should be a roller wheel (slightly larger) the tape now needs to go over the top of this one before entering the head block.

2nd - after the head block there should be a second roller of equal size to the left one and the tape also needs to go over the top of this one.

3rd - there should be a slightly smaller roller just before the right reel, the tape needs to go under this one before meetinp up with the takeup reel.

4th - Now you have to make sure the takeup reel grips the tape.
Turn the takeup reel 2 to 3 turns to grip the tape.

If done correctly Now you should see the capstan motor spin up.

On some machines on the main panel ther may be (possibly not on some models) a Green light with writing below it saying "Tape Ready" some machines dont have this so if the machines you have dont then dont worry about it.

Hope this info helps

Keith

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks a lot for your help; I will certainly have another go at it and report back with my findings. As I said, the machines are old and no one currently at the theater knows anything about their history. It would be a shame to end up throwing them away, so I am hoping someone will find a good home for them. Thanks again!

Cheers,
Chris

Info on Otari

Otari is one of the leading manufactures of studio standard tape recorders.

Nothing would hurt more than too see one of these machines disposed of.

Even if they are not 100% working there is still a chance of them being marketable as a restoration job.

And judgeing by Otari's reputation, getting parts for these machines shouldn't be that much of a problem as otari has a good level of support for a wide variety of the machines they produce.

I wish you the best of luck.

Keith

Back