Otari MX-70 Question....

gsg

Hello there....

My name is Geoff and this is my first time posting here at homerecording.com.

I recently purchased an MX-70 on eBay. It was advertised as working, ie plays back, but it wasn't fully tested to see if it actually recorded.
I took a chance...won the machine, drove a FAR distance to pick it up, and now that it's back at my place....it doesn't seem to record.

It came with the remote, proper cables, etc....and I KNOW I have everything hooked up properly.
When I try to erase whats currently on the reel, nothing happens.When I try to get a signal into the machine, nothing happens. The VU meters don't budge.
I have all of the switches on the remote set properly to record mode, the LED's above the SAFE/READY switch blink, as well as the RECORD button light. But, when I press RECORD/PLAY.....it plays back only and does not record anything.
Obviously something is wrong and I do plan to have someone look at it.
I just thought i'd post on here to see if anyone has any ideas as to something I may be overlooking?? Something I can tweak on my own??

Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Thanks in advance!!
Geoff
:)

Mx 70

Hi Geoff. I have an MX 70 myself and maybe i can help. When you go from record ready to record, the lights should stop flashing and stay on. Does your machine do this? Take the back shells off the remote cables and check for open wires. Kinda sounds like the remote is not talking to the machine. Also, the stock record and playback relays should be replaced (located on the channel cards). They are know to go bad and mess with the record/playback modes. I don't think it's the relays 'couse some channels should work. Try the cables first.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the reply....

Yes, the lights stop flashing and stay solid when i go to record mode.
I opened up the back panels of the machine lastnight to see if there were any lose connections, etc....all looked fine and VERY clean, so I closed it back up and tried again...nothing.
I'll take a look at the cables, thanks for the suggestion....
I haven't looked at the channel cards yet either, maybe something is funky with all of them??
As I said, this machine looks VERY clean and seems to have not been moved around too much. What would make it not record??
Unless of course i'm overlooking something VERY simple, but I really don't think that's the case.....i hope!!
Thanks again!!
Geoff

Mx 70

You could also try calling Otari, aske for Daina (spelling?). The guy really knows the MX 70. I think he has 3 of them! Very friendly. Good luck!

Jerry

I just got done checking the cables out,they look fine to me, and one of the channel cards, no luck.....
I'll try calling Otari.
Thanks for the help!!
I'll get this thing up and running soon!!!
Geoff

Back