Otari MTR-90 (mkI)

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
Just a general blah-blah here. Did a service call on an Otari MTR-90 2" 24-track machine today. It is the more rare mkI model as opposed to the more common and well-regarded mkII version. I guess the mkI is looked down upon. This one is having servo system issues. I actually thought it was a pretty nice machine in spite of the trouble it's having.

I've always had a quiet respect and admiration for Otari recorders as they were to me sort of like Tascam on steroids. But when it came to their 2" decks, they offered far more models and choices then Tascam ever did and pirched themselves squarely at the pro end of the scale and steered clear of the lower end of the market place with nothing in the cassette realm.

Are you developing a second career as a technician, Cory? You've certainly done enough restoration projects to earn your stripes! :)

Cheers! :)

Well it seems the bug for playing with these machines is strong with sweetbeats.:) Good on you. Lord knows there is a need for people who understand and can fix these artifacts and can keep the joy of analog recording alive.:thumbs up:

We had a Mk1 in the 1st studio I worked at, thing worked like a top, never an issue......but that was a few years ago, I had the chance to buy it 3 years ago when they closed down, I thought about it, but passed on it.....I do think about it , maybe I should of taken it.

Back