OTARI MTR-10-2 tension problems

Chip Whitley

Hi all. I've recently bought a new halftrack, an Otari MTR 10. The guy I bought it from was using it regularly until he purchased an Ampex deck, and is a good guy that I've bought from before, I know he didn't hose me. I bought it, brought it straight home carefully, and upon playback, it did this:

https://youtu.be/Vd5vR5c0QMA

I tried adjusting the Supply & Take Up reel tensions but that didn't seem to do the trick. I suspect it's the tension arm that needs evaluation but I can't find anything in the manual that refers to a tension arm.

If anyone has any advice I'd love to pick through some knowledge, I have a session I need to use it for by March 2.

Thanks for any info you can pass along!

Is that spring tension on the supply side too tight ? or, is the supply too loose. is the unit tension for small pools ?

I adjusted the tension on each reel prior to that video, the problem still persisted. I'd just like to find out the area of the problem. I can't find anything else in the manual that seems to help in even diagnosing this problem. I figured it would be a supply tension problem as it looks like the supply isn't providing enough counter-tension and just ends up coming off.

It's a quick video clip...but it almost looks like the tape is baking up at the take-up side.
Look at that (not sure what is) "guide/pin/lifter" right after the pinch roller/capstan and next to the last roller....that's where the problem starts, it moves the tape down, and then backs the tape up on the supply side.

Like there's some drag going on....?

you have to have some fingers in there measuring things. If, for example, a tension adjustment is made to the supply table, you still have confirm that it is uniform and no slick spots, etc..

I would keep track of where all your tension adjustments were originally...and start small....move one, if nothing chnages, put it back.
Once you make a lot of adjustments, and the problem is still there...it's kinda hard to pinpoint it after that, and to find your way back home. :)

Take the pinch wheel off. Then when you press play you can see what the tensions are doing. It looks like you have no supply side tension.

I appreciate all the help from everyone! I phoned John at JRF magnetics since he's an Otari wiz, and he suggested I look at the brake tension, which I inspected.

If posting a longer video, or a video specific of something else would help, please let me know and I will do. I have 0 experience with Otari equipment. I know this machine was calibrated and working perfectly when it was set aside, so I can't imagine it's too far off from rolling good again.

In regards to what John at JRF told me, i checked the brake tension and ran a test per the manuals instruction. It wasn't to the spec of the manual, so I got it there and the problem still exists.

My initial feeling was a Supply Reel tension/lack of tension problem, but I can only find one tension adjustment(one for each reel) to adjust. I got that to spec, problem still there.

So that's where I'm at. I once again want to thank you guys for all your input and advice!

There are so many of these I've been through. Including works fine upright, but not horizontal. Remember that the screw is a static adjustment in most cases

One can play anything, pretty much, without removing the idler
Your video shows complete loss of supply side tension. Then you hit stop or the deck drops out.
If you remove the pinch roller, tape will not play, but the tensions should hold the tape more or less stationary. Then you can see if you are losing tension.

Unfortunately, I fixed that thing and the problem still exists. It has to be a brake tension or reel tension thing, I just can't figure it out. I've tried both of those to no avail. It looks like the take-up reel pulls the supply reel a little too hard, or the supply reel gets a little momentum and has either no back tension or not enough. Causing tape to overflow off.

Ya the momentum was what I was seeing. The weight of the spool would could cause that if there was a tension setting for small spools, and I was also thinking a slick spot.

Unfortunately, I fixed that thing and the problem still exists. It has to be a brake tension or reel tension thing, I just can't figure it out. I've tried both of those to no avail. It looks like the take-up reel pulls the supply reel a little too hard, or the supply reel gets a little momentum and has either no back tension or not enough. Causing tape to overflow off.
Did you fix the damper?
Did you take my suggestion on removing the pinch wheel?

Your video shows complete loss of supply side tension. Then you hit stop or the deck drops out.
If you remove the pinch roller, tape will not play, but the tensions should hold the tape more or less stationary. Then you can see if you are losing tension.

One can tension the supply side with finger and thumb and without tape. It helps to have the moving mass on there, though.

I dunno how they do it here, but I didn't see spring tension arm on the other side, so I don't know how motor controlled that is. I expect it to be different than a old Tandberg : )

I'm sorry RadarDoug, I haven't yet been able to try your suggestion. I'm running session until about midnight everynight and trying to work on it after clean-up and such, but haven't managed to get that deep into it yet.

Remember that the MTR-10 is a completely computerized, server controlled deck. The computer inside continuously adjusts the pull of each motor for proper functioning. It seems like your deck might be off. There is an adjustment in the manual to set the sensor on the roller to measure forward and backward motion properly. It may not be set correctly. There are also sensors on each reel. I had one where the sensor on the supply real was not working properly, and it let the tape roll forward even when in stop mode. If the computer does not recognize the size of reel and motion and amount of tape on each reel it will not set the right tensions. The springs on this deck have little to do with operating tension. Refer to the manual.

Is that a reliability thing with this model ? I've been lucky with older motor controlled decks - knock on formica

Back