Otari CB 119 Auto Locator Manual/Instructions

Bettejanestudio

I am looking for operating instructions for an Otari CB-119 Auto Locator. Even a basic guide would be helpful. It may be such that any operating manual for the MX series related Auto Locators would be helpful. The CB-119 came with the MX-70.

Thank you.

Steve

The CB 119 units are rare enough...the manuals even more so.

That said, the CB 119 is pretty straightforward AFA auto-locators go for basic point setting.

You should be able to figure out the basic set/store/search functions without the manual.
Not really sure how much you even need to set multiple locate points...unless you are working with video cues and/or needing to do lots of repeat punches/searches.

I have an Otari MX-80 without the auto-locator unit...I just have the remote unit...and I rarely need to store more than 2-3 points, which I do with the machine's 3-locate points. I mean, even with my other tape deck that has a full-blown auto-locator...I never needed anything more than basic 1-2 points, purely for convenience...
..but then, I'm just tracking songs start to finish, so no video or multi-punch stuff.

I'm just saying, unless you really need all the finer features, don't let it hold you back...not having the manual. :)

Good luck.....

Thank you for you response and apologies for my delayed response. I figure that you are right. I mainly want to know how to set head and tail end points so I don't run the tape off and a third point for record start. It won't hold me back, but would be nice to know since it is available. This week, I'll focus on SMPTE synch with a Motu Midi Express USB. All the best and thank you again .

The CB 119 units are rare enough...the manuals even more so.

That said, the CB 119 is pretty straightforward AFA auto-locators go for basic point setting.

You should be able to figure out the basic set/store/search functions without the manual.
Not really sure how much you even need to set multiple locate points...unless you are working with video cues and/or needing to do lots of repeat punches/searches.

I have an Otari MX-80 without the auto-locator unit...I just have the remote unit...and I rarely need to store more than 2-3 points, which I do with the machine's 3-locate points. I mean, even with my other tape deck that has a full-blown auto-locator...I never needed anything more than basic 1-2 points, purely for convenience...
..but then, I'm just tracking songs start to finish, so no video or multi-punch stuff.

I'm just saying, unless you really need all the finer features, don't let it hold you back...not having the manual. :)

Good luck.....

I would think it's a similar sequence for head and tail as setting cue points. Just experiment with it.

Have you had that problem, of the tape running off the spool?
On my MX-80...because the machine always starts at ZERO when powering up...as long as I put the reel on starting at head of the tape (which is the normal thing 99.9% of the time)...and it is a full reel...the machine knows where the head and tail are.

Not sure if the MX-70 had that sensing ability...but I wouldn't be surprised that it does.

I think maybe the head/tail set points might be more for when you are using less than a full reel....or for some strange reason you start the tape at some mid-point upon power-up (which would be very odd)...and it confuses the deck.

Anyway...try it with a full real. Power up, everything will be zero, FW and see what happens when you get to withing 1 minute of the end. If it senses the tape length/time you will see it start to slow down....but of course, it doesn't STOP right before the end...it just slows down and spools off.

I guess if you want it to completely stop before spooling...then yeah, you want to set the head/tail...though I've never had a problem with that. I mean....I NEVER hit RW or FW and walk/look away from that deck and assume it will just stop before the end. It's only a minute if that to RW/FW....so I like to stand next to the deck just in case...............

Back