OT: Tascam 388 -- $350 PDX Craigslist

It possibly could be a good deal, but in my experience, what he wrote:

"The unit is in very good shape, but any analog engineer knows these machines do require some upkeep and occasional repair. The last time I used it it was recording and playing back from all tracks. That being said you may encounter some issues, that's why I'm entertaining offers for less than asking price if you are interested."

unfortunately most often usually means:

"There are lots of problems with this machine. I tried everything in my power to fix them, but I couldn't. I don't want to sink any money into it, so I'm not going to pay someone else to repair it. Therefore, I'm going to try to sell it at a slightly discounted price and use cryptic language in the listing so as to muddle the waters with regards to any implied functionality or warranty."

As I recall.......my 388 weighed about a billion pounds so I'm assuming you're thinking of picking this up in person.........not having it shipped.....right??? If so......bring along a mic or something and maybe some tape and ask the seller if you can run a quick test on each track. Shouldn't take long and he'll know how to use it. If he says no........well.........you might want to think again. If he agrees.........he's might be telling the truth about the last time he used it.

The ad is still up. Going as cheap as it is, I'd imagine there being some issues.
I see them for as high as 1,500, but with relapped heads and all issues sorted out. But, they sit for a while, so I think top dollar for a good one is about 1k.
This one is real cheap and the seller is vauge about the condition and possible issues.

Back