Orban 111b spring reverb w/ tascam 388

drrats

ooops this was supposed to go in the analog section. Not quite sure how this happened. I don't know how to delete it but i've informed the mods. Sorry!

The second link - need help wiring my Orban to my patch bay - describes the connections for an unbalanced setup.
Assuming it's a TS cable:
Input: Connect the tip to the 'IN' screw, and the ground to the ground screw.
Output: Connect the tip to 'H', and the ground to chassis ground (pitchfork)

So now it would seem that I'm getting massive grounding problems. Noise, hum, a local radio station... How would I go about getting to the bottom of this?

The Orban is a 6U rack and I'm connecting it to the inserts of my Tascam 388. There is no other gear powered on in the rack. It is running off the same power board as the 388. Everything else in the rack is also running off the same power board but I'm not having any grounding issues with the other gear.

To further complicate things, the left channel is better than right channel in that it does not pick up the radio. There is still a hum at what sounds like 60hz and lots of hiss however.

Thanks

Last edited:
You need to wire the low side of the output to common ground in order to go into an unbalanced input. The unit has output transformers and that's exactly what happens if you leave one side of a transformer floating.

ah great thank you! I disconnected the 2nd channel and then the first channel had no noise which was good because I then at least had mono spring reverb, but this is what I needed to know for stereo! Thanks again, ill let you know how it goes :)

Back