Older books on recording, multi-track, reel to reel, etc.

jjones1700

Learning, always learning
Does anyone know of a good source for locating older books about multi-track recording, reel to reels, and the like? I went to some of the local libraries and they just threw them out! I can understand their point a little bit, but damn, what a waste and what a shame. I could really care less about digital multi-track books as it really wouldn't show me how to bounce and overdub on tape. Besides, I'm sure some of the photos of the analog equipment are cool.:p

I'll hit up my local 1/2 price book store and see what I can find there.:confused:

The only book I know of is:

Analog Recording: Using Vintage Gear in Home Studios by Dave Simons

It's a newer style book and it's pretty good if don't already know anything about Analog. On the other hand, I don't remember there being any tips, tricks or secrets in there. Basically not much technique stuff. It's pretty much about the history of analog and how to know what kind of gear to buy and such. It is a shame. We all should get together and write a book to spread the ANALOG GOSPEL! A while back someone bought be "Home recording" for dummies. This book kinda sucks. The author seems pro-digital, with very little, I mean very little info on Analog, How he rags on analog a little and trys to convice the reader that analog simulating software is great. (spit, spit)
A

The only book I know of is:

Analog Recording: Using Vintage Gear in Home Studios by Dave Simons

It's a newer style book and it's pretty good if don't already know anything about Analog. On the other hand, I don't remember there being any tips, tricks or secrets in there. Basically not much technique stuff. It's pretty much about the history of analog and how to know what kind of gear to buy and such.

I think I've heard of that one before. I'd like any book with the history of analog, so that may be cool as well. I'm just fascinated by reel, tape, wire, cassette, vinyl, etc.

As far as writing a book, I think between Cjacek, Ghost, and a couple of others on here as well as some guys from the Yahoo groups would put together a kick ass book on analog.:D:cool:

i found a good one at half price books. I think that is your best bet. good luck

Does anyone know of a good source for locating older books about multi-track recording, reel to reels, and the like?

I own this book:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Home-Recording-...goryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It came with a demo record. It's great. The one above no one bid on.

I believe that the following is the exact same book (only with a different cover - Sting with the 3440). Looks like a reissue:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HOME-RECORDING-...goryZ378QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Home-Recording-...oryZ3278QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Home-Recording-...goryZ378QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Home-Recording-...goryZ378QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Basically the one to get is HOME RECORDING FOR MUSICIANS by Craig Anderton. Not the recent versions, mind you, with the pro tools and such but rather the original versions.

Musician's Guide to Home Recording, by Peter McIan!... is right up your alley!:eek:;)
Seriously!:eek::eek:;)

I love this part, from one of the amazon reviewers:D:D:
"There are several chapters about analog tape recording which are outdated. It's not that the information is inaccurate -- my sense is that his overview on tape recording is very, very good --- but that the current cost/benefit of digital recording just overwhelms any need to know about tape."​

..and the frequent use of the term "outdated" by several others (also referring to analog no doubt ;) )

Hilarious!!:D:D:eek::eek:

http://www.amazon.com/Musicians-Guide-Home-Recording/dp/0825613787
;)

So what? That's a review! Want another one?

This book was originally written in 1986 & updated in 1994 as an easy to read, informative text, that's analog-centric, reel/mixer & hardware oriented, with plenty of lite theory & substantial practical info, tips, techniques and real world examples. It's geared toward musicians. Although the updates cover topics of digital recording, with the speed of change in technology even the digital chapters are of limited use. This book is mainly based in the world of using tape recorders and consoles, so if you want a thorough treatise on that, this is the book for you.

Portastudios are covered, as are some historical points about home recording. There are many featured items such as the Tascam 58, 388, 246 and Fostex A8, plus large and moderate consoles,... if that gives you a clear idea of where this book is coming from!

Anyone who wants to find out about the creamiest new 'pre' and control surface interface to their DAW need not get this book. That is, except for theory, mic and line mixing technique, it has little or no relevance to 2007 mainstream recording techiques.:eek:;)

Good info, Dave but I sure hope you got from my post that I'm merely making fun of the reviewer (and the perception of analog in general by the mass public). ;)

I wasn't questioning the relevance of that book and yes I know it's from the 80's. I have another, from the late 70's by Anderton, read it cover to cover, and it's more "relevant" to me than anything that I can buy in 2007.:)

Thanks Dan for the links. I bought one of those. Not that I need it that bad but looks like some fun stuff to read.

When in Portland there is only one bookstore

The recording section of Powells books in PDX often has vintage recording books as well as the current crop. Powells for those who don't know is a city block 4 stories high of new and USED books. They bill themselves as the largest bookstore >this< side of the Mississippi. Millions of books! You can get lost without a map.

I've seen a number of how to record books there written in the boom of Tascam's creation of the home studio revolution.

If you know the title you can find it directly and the search for keywords should prove fruitful too. They mail order or if you need a better look at the book I might be able to make it over there and get a look for you.

Family excursions to Powells are a Portland tradition.

--Ethan

Back