Old Sony B&W reel to reel video tape

TAE

All you have is now
I have come into possesion of some old B&W reel to reel video tapes of my band back in the late 70's. The audio on some these is very good being as the sound man was using Pink Floyd's old board to mix with. My problem is when I tried to play these tapes they would stick to the head . It appears the metal particles are coming off on to it. At best I get a few jerky minutes of playing and I have to clean the heads again. Any of you out there know whats going on and if there is some way of salvaging at least the audio off these tapes. There are a few songs that I really would love to have copies of.
TAE

You just need to wash all that smog off it with a good spraying of WD40. Hell, down there where you live nobody will notice. Go for it, Stimpy.

Hey, heard from Eddie N?

I have to assume your are just kidding about the wd-40 right? I haven't heard from Eddy yet. I know he's settling in in West L.A..

WD40 WHAT?!

don spray WD40 onto anything! you mean the oxide is coming off of the tape.. i know this sounds crazy, but you will have to cook yor tape. if you dont mind spending about $50 to refurbish all your tapes, you need to go out and a buy one of those dehumidifier cooker things. I know what they look like but cant explain, but you clowly cook them at a very low temperatur like 120F or 130F, i cant remember what exact temp, ill try to look more of this up, but it removes all the mudity that is getting between the glue and oxide, the water leaves the glue, the glue resets, your tape doesnt shed onto to your machine. dont play the reels while they are shedding, that is old memories going away, its like shaving, the hair goes down the sink and byebye.

I remember seeing a website that tells how to cook reel to reels...hell if I remember where I saw it...all i remember is that you MUST do it with an electric stove. Search ask.com or something for it.

i had that and took the tape down to the local video store and put it through their tape cleaner a couple of times and it worked fine.
Cheers :D

LOL it only took me 15 years to pull the trigger on paying someone to "bake" the tapes..

..........hmmmmm? got a little glitchy and double posted the post above...

Last edited:
Nice to see you transferred them. The video quality is pretty good too - not seeing any dropouts.
Definitely some drop outs here n there but overall very happy with the results... Here's an epic version of the U.S. National Anthem going into Purple Haze

Yes, I saw that. What was the keyboard rig?

Hey JP good eye

For the time it was pretty cool rig..

Hammond M3 ran through a 925 leslie
Elka Rhapsody String Ensemble
A very cool and original Roland SH3 (still have it) ran through a univox echo machine into a 4/12 Peavey Musician.

Here's a video that shows the rig and showcases me ( the wonderous keyboard player ) a little better.

Quality is pretty good. And the hair. Look at all that hair! ☺

Damn had to bring that up... The lead singer and original drummer who are brothers, the original Bass player and the lead guitarist all still have full heads of the damn stuff.. I come in 5th place with most of my hair but a little bigger forehead :D ...the replacement drummer and bass player are both que balls...but almost 40 years later all still alive and well... this is good.... Hopefully within the year the original group will record some of these and maybe a new one relating to the fact that we still exist after all these years for posteriors sake.

Back