Oh Yeah

antispatula

Haha I don't believe this. As some of you may remember, I got my Otari 8 track off a local classifieds ad, and I drove into San Fransisco and got it for 100 bucks.

I did the SAME thing today, AGAIN. :D

This time it was 200 though. As far as I can tell, it's in perfect condition. The only problem I saw was the left tention arm was bent. I took it off, bent it back, and vuala!

It was a pain in the butt getting it, like having to email the lady that was selling it over and over and OVER. Then I had to actually drive there (I paid my friend 30 bucks to drive me there......I don't know SF at all) And that was all a little crazy. But I got it. The pinch roller needs to be rerubbered, it's sticky. No problem , terry can do it for 40 bucks.

So why did I get ANOTHER one? To sell it actually. After I bought a rhodes, I desperately needed money, and seeing I'm 17, money is SCARCE. But don't worry, the money of course will go straight to and only to recording. It's taking me FOREEVER to get decent equipment when my money suppply is so low.

I'm going to put it on ebay in a few days, I don't know wether or not I should get the pinch roller rerubbered or not. Do you think I'd be able to sell it for more if I got it rerubbered?

Just thought I'd share, seeing it's kind of a funny thing that I've run across two otari 8 tracks in the past few months......

otar.jpg

And it even came with both manuals!
And you want to blow it up to see how nice it is.

And this one is in even better shape than my other one.....maybe I'll keep this one instead....That always happends to me, I buy something only to sell it, but I never have the heart to do it.....It's like a curse.

BEAUTIFUL PICT ANTI!

If you can keep it, it'd be nice.

Ask yourself this question: "Do I really need the extra few hundred bucks or could this serve me better as a parts unit down the road".

Heads alone could cost you many times more than the two machines combined not to mention all the other parts. Ok, yeah, you sell the one recorder and maybe profit 100 or 200 bucks (maybe) but then if you need an extra part or whatever, it might cost you many times that. Are you sure you want to make a dumb move and sell the second Otari that you got dirt cheap ?

Here's a way to make money: Photo copy the Otari manuals and sell 'em on ebay! :D

GAH! This ALWAYS happends to me......Now you've convinced me to keep BOTH! This happends everytime. I bought the FIRST otari in hopes of selling, I didn't, I have a SECOND one that I most likely won't sell either. And this has happened with many other things, like a hohner pianet t, a mixer, etc. But you may be right.....I don't know yet. Do you think people would buy the manual? Maybe I could to that.

antispatula said:
Do you think people would buy the manual? Maybe I could to that.

If you do a very neat, simple and straightforward photocopy job (doesn't even need to be bound in any special way) and excellent description/photo presentation on eBay and price it to be competitive with others (on eBay) while making a nice and realistic profit margin, then yeah it's worth a shot to test the waters with perhaps one photocopy of each manual and putting forth all your creativity to presenting it.

Believe me, and you don't know it yet, but in a couple of years, you'll be glad you kept the recorders.

VOILA!
-French for there/here it is!
& I'm JEALOUS.
KEEP IT,
TRY IT,
It might be the better of the two.
The 1st one might cark it in a fortnight or throw a shoe....
If you have the space for the spare give it love.
Cheers
rayC

Last edited:
Record with the one which is in better condition, baby it etc ... and keep the other for spares etc .... ;)

Then, in a few years or so, when you have much $$, restore both recorders, bring them to spec etc ....

Not only keep them both, use for bouncing, mix down, 2-track master, you can turn the reels over and play vocal parts backwards to the other machine to record a reverse reverb, etc.

People like you make me sick.....kidding!!! I watch intently for weeks looking for the right deck to no avail and you stumble on two of them for 300 bucks. KEEP THEM!!!!!Sync them together and have 14 tracks. You'll need two tracks for time code. Good luck man!!!

Back