Now..Tascam MSR-16 wacky!

If the dbx cards and power supply card plug in to the same motherboard and connections are oxidized, your exercising of the dbx card connections could disrupt already compromised connections on the power supply card just from flexing of the motherboard, particularly if it is a phenolic resin PCB. You really need to exercise that power supply card connection. It could be a compromised solder joint on the motherboard or power supply card as well. I'm telling you...one bad solder joint on that +5V logic supply could cause everything you are experiencing. I might be totally off-base, but in my experience it is imperative to rule out power supply issues first thing with just about any problem encountered with these complex electro-mechanical devices.

wkrbee, Had to re- set my email don't know why. So your PM did not reach me.

Update; Got the unit back yesterday. From the other, local electronics repair guy. He said he checked the power supply. "It's all good" he said. I'm a little unsure, as to his ability, on this particular machine. As I stated earlier he mostly works on TV's, and does auto stereo installations. He stated; "You should send to a person that works on only these..maybe". I'm pretty sure, this was the first multi-track r/r he had ever seen! And probably... ever wanted to again!:D

So when I got it home I powered it on to confirm it was indeed displaying the same symptoms. Admittedly, I was hoping it had healed itself. It hadn't. I removed the back cover again, this time I started removing all the connectors I could find one at a time. I shorted something out at some point as I noticed the Capstan was no longer turning when I powered on. It was a fuse..radio shack was closed by then. Today I got the fuse replacement(s)...not trusting myself. I also bought their True RMS D.V.M. Got home, and realized I don't know what, where ,or how to test a darn thing!:facepalm:

Corrections; The card next to the DBX cards is not the Power PCB. It is in fact, the Capstan servo control card. I have seen the control panel (flash) light up all the red led's when power was applied as if it was correct, but then nothing would actually receive input correctly. I have seen no rhyme, or reason why it will do this periodically during my connection's exercising test. I would try and get it to replete the performance to no avail! As it stands, Nothing I have done has changed it at all. It use to respond to buttons and transport control I swear! I can't imagine what I could have done to change that.

Last edited:
Can you put together a video of what it is currently doing? And just to be clear, the capstan should only turn when the right tension arm is engaged.

Guess I need a lesson in video upload. All I get at Vimeo is a http. Not a URL! I've posted vid's before, but can't remember now how.

Sorry..Can't seem to delete a post on this site either.

Use the insert web link button in your post to share the web address of the Vimeo video.

URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator...it is a global term for a resource on the internet. http is a type of URL.

Use the insert web link function and use the http-based URL for your video.

Thank You sweetbeats. https://vimeo.com/190018771 New observation; If I wait some time, say a couple of minutes after power off. The machine will do what you see in the video. However, if I power on right away it will not Flash all the red leds. Too, I tried leaving the power on about 20 minutes (reels installed, tape threaded) and I noticed a hot smell when I returned. Both reel motors were very hot.

Now for how to delete a post! When I hover over edit post, I get the, edit/delete icon,just no delete, when I choose to edit.:mad:

Last edited:
I wouldn't fret about the extraneous posts...mods have to delete those, and they're not causing any trouble. You've got other things to fret about.

I watched the video.

My short answer is you've got a complex logic control issue going on...beyond me or most lay-persons to tackle. My two bits of advice would be:

1. Verify power supply outputs are appropriate...the power supply needs to be isolated from the rest of the unit (i.e. the outputs should be disconnected from any loads), and all rails should be checked for both DC amplitude and stability, and for AC components on the DC outputs. The DC outputs should be dead stable, and the amplitude of each within +/-0.5VDC of the supply rail's designated output. When checking for AC there should be nearly nothing...a couple millivolts at the most, preferably <1mV. Once outputs are checked out with the supply unloaded, then systems need to be brought back in one at a time and the respective rails checked in the same way again when under load. I know you said the tech you took it to checked the power supply and said "It's all good", but you also stated things that lead me to believe he is not qualified to work on something like your tape machine...unless he tested the power supply as above, the power supply shouldn't be ruled out. If you don't know how to isolate the power supply and use your DMM to do these tests...

2. ...you really need to locate a qualified repair tech and pony up. And for goodness sakes stop doing things like hunting in the dark pulling connectors to see if something happens. I'm not trying to be mean...were you doing that with the unit powered? No....no, no, no. Logic system issues are delicate and complex and you're not going to magically fix it by doing stuff like that...more likely cause more damage. Again, I'm not trying to be insensitive, but I'm a bit passionate about this because there's a hammer mechanic in me that does stuff like that when I'm at a loss, and it's only brought me headaches and heartaches.. You have a nice clean looking machine...do right by it and be methodical and careful in the approach to get it right again. Accept the problem is highly likely not a simple or easy fix. I'm sorry about this...I know how it feels...but accepting it is step #1, and then the work can begin to rectify the problems. I wouldn't power it on again until the power supply is isolated and tested.

What part of the world are you in? Maybe if we know that somebody can advise a good tech or service center to patronize. If it was me, and I cared about the machine and wanted it working again I'd sacrifice a day's round-trip drive to take it to a good shop/tech.

Sorry about your situation. It's a frustrating bitch.

Cory,
First of all no worries! I can take it.:D I 100% agree with your every word. This is beyond my capabilities. I'm a carpenter/woodworker. As you can tell by that thumb in the video!:facepalm: I live in Arroyo Grande CA.

Actually 1h 45 min. I contacted them 6-7 weeks ago, when I thought I only had an amp card issue. I never heard back, so I assumed they no longer worked on these.

How did you contact them? By phone or by email? If you only emailed you need to get serious, go old-school and pick up the phone and call.

I emailed them Again today. Got a response back. First..your right It's Montebello, not Montecito. I always thought they were there. $90 evaluation. fee. applies to repair if done. At $90 per Hr. Plus at least twelve hours driving time. Could get real costly. Especially, since I don't have a clue what is wrong. I must balance this against the fact that a working unit (aside from counter roller rubber) could not get sold on eBay for $499. I don't plan to record on this, and I have no sentimental attachments to it. So I'm thinking this one goes on sale.."for Parts or repair".

I've determined this so far. This machine powers on a few different ways.

1. Semi normal as far as the control board lights are concerned. They all flash the red color (exception, vari speed amber) as shown in the picture I provided. then settle down to the Same..as shown in the video I posted.

2. The two leds at the (Pitch control) light Amber/red at the same time. Then, the speed (low) led lights together with the counter display.

3. The two leds at the (Pitch control) light Amber/Red at the same time this time the Tape speed (low) led does not light... also it is connected to the Counter display as it also does not light. I did notice in darker situation. There was a (very dim) flashing in the counter display in this state.

In all three situations, the capstan only runs when the right tension roller is raised. The reel motors turn in all three instances.

I don't know where to test the power supply. This unit seems to have two PS PCB's.
It continually powers on like these. What determines which on I don't know.

Attachments

• Power supply.JPG
    Power supply.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 2
  • PS B.JPG
    PS B.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 4
Couple of things. Are these the same? What is this? Could I have inadvertently changed this? What would it matter?

I checked this. The arrows show power travel from plug on rear of machine. It looks to be the first point of power to the Unit.

Attachments

• five pos. Alps switch.JPG
    five pos. Alps switch.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20161108_143342.JPG
    20161108_143342.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20161108_143259.JPG
    20161108_143259.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 2
sweetbeats, wkrbee jpmorris, and altrustica.

Just wanted to say thank you to you guys for all your help, and responces on this post.

Ron

Back