Not sure about pinch roller Tascam 244

Findlay

I've started to notice some wow and flutter with one of my Tascam 244 decks - the most recent one which I modified for Type 1. The frequency response is still outstanding, but I'm noticing w&f at the sort of level you get with a standard cassette deck, which spoils acoustic guitar recordings, which were sounding great. Oddly, it sounds ok on headphones but over some good speakers it just isn't right. I replaced the capstan belt and head control belts when I bought it this time last year but it still has the original pinch roller. I've cleaned this thoroughly and it is not in any way "sticky" like previous 244 rollers I've replaced - but could this be the problem? I just want to make sure before taking everything apart again - I'm concerned about losing that little spring clip on the roller and want to make sure If there is something else I'm missing! Any help appreciated!

My money would be on the pinch roller for sure. Replacing it is kind of a pain on the 244, but you will be able to do it. That spring isn't something that flies off or anything. The actual replacement isn't that tough if you have some intuition about that kind of stuff. The Dr Zee site helped me. Let me know if you need a line on a new pinch roller wheel.

Thanks for the great advice - I've just replaced the roller and it is sounding fantastic again! Hard to credit that it could have such an effect. Got to make the most of that sparkling Type 1!

Back