Not seeing any input level indications on my Otari

Bloodbone

Haven't had much time to mess with this thing,and it is probably just my ignorance-but here goes:
I've tried recording onto a track two times,with no luck yet.
1.First try was with an SM-58,directly in.Just barely had the indicator move on the VU meter,and didn't hear anything on playback after a recording attempt.
2.Second try was with an SM-58 into a Mackie mixer,and into the Otari via a cable that is 1/4" connector at the Mackie,and male XLR at the Otari.
There is no movement at all on the VU meter.

Doing it either way,I can hear myself through headphones attached to the Otari.It just doesn't appear to be recording the signal.
Is it likely that the signal isn't being boosted enough-like I'm going to have to get a rackable preamp in order to get enough signal?
Or is my inexperience causing me to overlook something simple?Actually,this thing SEEMS pretty simple,after jacking around with computers and digital recorders.

One other thing,is that the Otari instructions call for Unbalanced input cables.
The only cable I could find that would connect the Mackie to the Otari was one with 1/4" inst. on one end,and male XLR on the other.And it is a balanced cable.Is that a problem?
Thanks for any help.

Depending on what model you have, the cabling might need modifying. My 5050 8 track uses this configuration for XLR to 1/4" or RCA:

the XLR connections are as follows:

pin 3 = signal hot----------------------------------to tip
pin 2 = no connection----------------------------- no connection
pin 1 = shield------------------------------------- to sheild

Try it and let us know.

Thanks for the reply,and I think you are right.
I've contacted the seller,and he is sending me the cables he built to use with the machine.
I'll save the info you posted as well.

The cables arrived just a few minutes ago.
Attached them from my Mackie mixer to the Otari,and now the signal is arriving just as it is supposed to.
VU meters are working fine,and headset volume will explode your brain,if you desire.
Definitely was a cabling issue.
Now,to get something recorded!!

Now,THIS is what good audio is all about!!
Very impressed with the sound of this machine.
I do believe this is going to be just what I was looking for.
Aah,the sweet feel of satisfaction...

Back