No oil tube's for A-3340S motors

PoorBoyRecordings

I have a big problem. My A-3340S motors need lubed and there are no oil tubes to oil it :( The 3340S I purchased and posted ?'s about here does. How do I oil the motors as I am giving it a complete cleaning and lube? :confused:

I was just looking at the service manual for the 3440, not the same model but similar transport and the service book says nothing about lubing the motors! They only talk about oiling the shaft that the pinch roller mounts to and the capstan shaft basin below the dust cap once a year or after 2000 hours of use...which ever comes first.

If you don't have the service manual for your unit, it would be in your interest to get one so that you're better prepared to fix stuff and not make it worse!

Cheers! :)

I was just looking at the service manual for the 3440, not the same model but similar transport and the service book says nothing about lubing the motors! They only talk about oiling the shaft that the pinch roller mounts to and the capstan shaft basin below the dust cap once a year or after 2000 hours of use...which ever comes first.

If you don't have the service manual for your unit, it would be in your interest to get one so that you're better prepared to fix stuff and not make it worse!

Thanks Ghost. I have 2 service manuals for the deck, and they both show the little oil tubes. My 3340S has the tubes but not the A-3340S.:confused:

Thanks Ghost. I have 2 service manuals for the deck, and they both show the little oil tubes. My 3340S has the tubes but not the A-3340S.:confused:

"showing the tubes" and the manual telling you what to do with that oil is two different things, right? The part in the service manual for the 3440 talks about what to oil, how often and how to go about doing it. What does your service manual say about that? If it doesn't say anything like what I just described, I would default to only oiling the parts that I spoke about in my previous post.

Just shootin' from the hip here, but because the A-3340S seems to be a short-lived transitory model from the 3340S to the A-3440, it may be possible that yours has components/care and feeding related to the A-3440 even if it is shown in the manual...manuals often have errors or your manual may be a version that predates the date of manufacture of your deck...or they may have neglected to omit that text...who knows. If the tubes aren't there they aren't there and your motor may have service free cartridge bearings.

+1 to what Ghost said...check and see what the service schedule says about lubing the motors...if it doesn't indicate it I wager you are okay not oiling the motors that donzt appear to be...er...oilable. Are you having trouble with the motors?

Thanks Ghost and Sweet. My (manuals) both say the same as Ghost's. Oil once a year or every 2000 hours, whichever comes first. And without the oil tubes, looks (sounds) like I am gonna have to replace a moter :( Thanks again guys.

Do you actually see anywhere where the tubes would go into the motors?

Why replace the motors??? Again, is there a problem with the current motors?

Another thought: it is not inconceivable to think that maybe the motors are not the original and are the newer type that don't require oiling. Look at the part number on the motor and see if they match up with the part number in the manual.

If it ain't broken don't fix it.

Do you actually see anywhere where the tubes would go into the motors?

Why replace the motors??? Again, is there a problem with the current motors?

Another thought: it is not inconceivable to think that maybe the motors are not the original and are the newer type that don't require oiling. Look at the part number on the motor and see if they match up with the part number in the manual.

If it ain't broken don't fix it.

Hi Sweet. Yes I checked to see if there are any places and all to oil the motor (shafts) and there is no place. The problem is, it is beginning to squick some all the time and also the tape deck is sluglish and has I guess a lot of wow and flutter. When I record and playback my guitar sounds all out of tune on a come and go basis. Also, it takes the reels a bit to get started going the right speed. I have checked the brakes and they are both ok.

1. so how do the motors spin up and sound with the tape unloaded (no reels on machine, lift R tension arm, hit PLAY)...they squeak and/or spin up slow?
2. WHAT TAPE ARE YOU USING???
3. what shap is your pinch roller in?

+1 with sweetbeats
I've done alot of machine repair(non audio) over the years and electric motors are fairly reliable. I would check everything else before considering a motor replacement. Motors either work or don't. Not saying that's not your problem but your symptoms would be very rare for it to be a motor problem.

1. so how do the motors spin up and sound with the tape unloaded (no reels on machine, lift R tension arm, hit PLAY)...they squeak and/or spin up slow?
2. WHAT TAPE ARE YOU USING???
3. what shap is your pinch roller in?

Hi Sweetbeats.

1. The left motor has a squik/squil to it. Barely audible, but you can hear it. ( someone with better ears than me could hear it even better )

2. I am using consumer grade 7 inch reels with Scotch 175 mostly. And have various other scotch brand tapes.

3. The pinch roller is like new. Soft to the touch but not to soft.

Hi Sweetbeats.

1. The left motor has a squik/squil to it. Barely audible, but you can hear it. ( someone with better ears than me could hear it even better )

..... but is that noise still coming out without the tape loaded, as sweets suggested? :confused:

The reason that's so important is that old tape (that has lost its lubrication) can fool you into thinking it's something else. I've heard the noise you speak of, the squealing / squeaking, and it seem to be coming off the motors but in fact it was a bad tape. You need to make the distinction by running without tape.

..... but is that noise still coming out without the tape loaded, as sweets suggested? :confused:

The reason that's so important is that old tape (that has lost its lubrication) can fool you into thinking it's something else. I've heard the noise you speak of, the squealing / squeaking, and it seem to be coming off the motors but in fact it was a bad tape. You need to make the distinction by running without tape.

Noise all the time when the motors are running. Coming from the left side ( facing the deck ). Also is sluggish/slow to get up to full speed in all modes. i.e. play, record, FF, RW, etc.

"..... but is that noise still coming out without the tape loaded, as sweets suggested?"
=======================================================
Noise all the time when the motors are running. Coming from the left side ( facing the deck ). Also is sluggish/slow to get up to full speed in all modes. i.e. play, record, FF, RW, etc.
please answer the question. the more specific the info they have, the better they can assist you.:)

The motor may have gummed up brushes inside or worn internal bearings. Either way, oiling it, even if it could be oiled wouldn't be a proper solution. The motor would have to be taken apart, completely cleaned and possibly have the bearings replaced. That's a tedious job to undertake and a prohibitively expensive one to have a shop do for you. I was facing a similar issue with my 38 when I first bought it and opted to just replace the motor with a new one as TEAC still had stock at the time and the cost was cheaper then what the bench time would have been to recondition the old one, which like yours was sluggish to near dead.

"..... but is that noise still coming out without the tape loaded, as sweets suggested?"
=======================================================

please answer the question. the more specific the info they have, the better they can assist you.:)

Sorry. Yes, even without the tape loaded it still squiq's. No matter how things are loaded, running, etc. The motor has it.

:confused:
The motor may have gummed up brushes inside or worn internal bearings. Either way, oiling it, even if it could be oiled wouldn't be a proper solution. The motor would have to be taken apart, completely cleaned and possibly have the bearings replaced. That's a tedious job to undertake and a prohibitively expensive one to have a shop do for you. I was facing a similar issue with my 38 when I first bought it and opted to just replace the motor with a new one as TEAC still had stock at the time and the cost was cheaper then what the bench time would have been to recondition the old one, which like yours was sluggish to near dead.

Yeah, I know Ghosts. And BTW, thanks for your answer. I have taken electric motors apart before and cleaned the gummy stuff off the armature, change brushes etc. I am trying to figure out now what to do if the motor is bad ... replace it or tear it apart and see if it can be fixed. Either way, it'll be a job :( Thx.

Back