Newbie analog recording question

crisson

Heh all. I am new to this site and to home recording. I have had this Yamaha MD4X cassette mixer/recorder for several years but never really got around to using it. Now I have the time to play a bit, but have many things I don't understand. I guess I will start with my most basic question... What is the difference between the gain control and the channel fader? Both seem to alter the level of the incoming signal? I assume you use them for different things but don't really know when to use one vs. the other. Any info (in plain english please) will be much appreciated.
TIA,
Jim

It's all about giving each part of the signal path the optimal signal level. The gain control determines the signal level for the stuff between the preamp and the fader. Typically this would be the EQ and aux sends The fader determines the signal level being sent to the mix bus.

At each stage of the signal path, too little signal means more noise; too much signal means more distortion. Hence the need for multiple controls. The technical term for this pursuit is "gain staging."

Plain enough? I hope so. And I hope I didn't oversimplify.

Don

I think I have it...the gain control sets the level before effects, EQ, etc. are added to the signal. The signal then comes back from effects/EQ etc. and the fader controls signal level going over to the recorder...right? That makes sense to me. Thanks Don.

Another question...the MD4X has 3 monitor buses: group(1-3 and/or 2-4), stereo, and cue. Can you explain the functions these to me in plain old english?

Thanks again,
Jim

Back