New TASCAM 388 user!

petemotz

Hey everyone, I've had a 388 for a few months but I haven't been home enough to use it and mess around with it as much as I'd like. Recently, my uncle brought me some of his very old, brittle tapes that he wanted me to make cds out of. So when I used the stereo out on the 388 into my MBOX, I was getting what was recorded on the tracks as well as the conversation we were having at that exact time. I could hear very distant noises as well, like people in the next room. What was this from? Were the heads picking up noise?

I'd suspect his tapes are 1/4" 4 track (2 tracks in two directions) (1/4 track stereo, L-R play, flip over L-R play) are they actually 8 track tapes?

The 388 is a 1/4" 8 track machine. I don't know if the 388 can play 4 tracks I don't believe so. So you may have also some how recorded over some of his tapes. You should be playing them back on a 1/4 track machine, somehting like a Teac 3300, not the 388.

Sounds like you had a live mic during the transfer process if you conversation with your uncle was included in the transfer. blue Jinn is spot on in his advice. The "distant noises" were the other tracks being read by the 8 track head during playback. You could fiddle around and find which tracks give you the most uncluttered signal - having only those tracks active during the transfer, but using a standard 1/4' 2 track deck as Blue Jinn mentions would be the best choice for the transfer work your uncle desires. Hope this helps.

I don't know. I had no inputs going into the 388 and the only inputs into the mbox were from the stereo outs on the 388. Anyone that was talking, it seemed to get louder when they were closer to the heads. It was weird. I'm just hoping to figure out what it was before I record with it this summer.

The easiest way to test this (to me) would be to track something direct while talking or singing. Do this on a fresh tape (or at least one you KNOW to be clear of any recordings.) IF the talking gets picked up then it is somehow related to the 388. If it doesn't then it would be a problem with the tape you were using. But i'm no expert, seems like a logical experiment though.

I've once had an issue...

I've once had an issue on a 564 Portastudio where a malfunctioning or dirty XLR mic input socket had become "microphonic" when nothing was connected to the jack, but the MIC input was selected ON. A bit of fiddling with the mic input by plugging in a cable a few times cleaned up the issue. That's really esoteric, but it happens!:eek:;)

I've also heard once where a loose head wire could cause the head to become microphonic, but if this is the case you'd notice other obvious problems on recording and playback.

The situation requires further investigation. Chances are it's something simple or easy.:eek:;)

Back