New/NOS vs "Used" Tape...?

I bought a couple of used tapes during the crisis 10 years ago, but then couldn't bring myself to erase them. So as a rule I don't, though occasionally I'll buy them to prevent others erasing them, e.g. I seem to have one of the session tapes for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRfHe7gS_aA

I had a similar concern. (Crisis? When Quantegy closed?) Anyway,... I've bought or come by some used tape that I ultimately prefer not to erase.

I got some used 1/4" Ampex on 10.5" reels that had masters for Armed Forces Radio, an adult oriented/jazz show hosted by David Sanborn. I just keep these reels around for listening later when I'm feeling mellow.

With a different deal, I got some 1/2" reels thrown in with a Tascam 38 I bought & had some pretty happening rock multitracks of some pretty together, commercial sounding music of some familiar sounding yet unknown band. These reels I kept & traded out of the batch for a single brand new reel in a resale deal of this equipment. I figure it's probably better music than I'll ever record myself, it is interesting & entertaining, and could be a fun little "mixing clinic" tape once in a while. Not to mention occasionally wondering if this is a band I should know, if they're bedroom tapes of a "famous" band or if they "made it" at all in the music biz.

My only 2 cases of dabbling in used tape, but in general I'd rather not buy used tape, for this reason and others.
:spank::eek:;)

I bought a couple of used tapes during the crisis 10 years ago, but then couldn't bring myself to erase them. So as a rule I don't, though occasionally I'll buy them to prevent others erasing them, e.g. I seem to have one of the session tapes for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRfHe7gS_aA

I wouldn't hesitate erasing that!
Sorry. :D ;)

I've occassionally seen some guys selling 2" multi-track session tapes of more well known artists...and they want these absolutely silly prices....and all I'm thinking is... dude, we just want the tapes, not what's on them! :p

I just got ahold of 21 reels of "NOS" 203 1/4" 1800'. Ironically, when they arrived, the storage boxes were in varying condition. One could say some were probably not new, while others were clearly relatively brand new.

The only way to say if green box 203 is new is the added leader tape they give you. I believe there is an adhesive that once removed, can't be reattached. They all still have the adhesive. The question that I ask now is this; does for instance a non-sealed reel show any differences to a sealed one? The 203 is placed in plastic, in the case, and then sealed with cellophane. All my reels are unrecorded, but I wonder if the sealed-box reels are any different than the ones that had the cellophane rip off over the years.

If we're talking Scotch 203, you're correct, the leader tape has some adhesive. I think it can be reattached but it is not nearly as strong after the first time. The green cardboard outer/plastic box 203 might not even have had any kind of cellophane over it originally. In my experience, if unplayed, the reel should be relatively loosely packed, much looser than if it has been played (and certainly looser than being fast-forward/rewound).

I just got ahold of 21 reels of "NOS" 203 1/4" 1800'.

I thought you were bulk buying Scotch 206 1/2" tape...?

In my experience, if unplayed, the reel should be relatively loosely packed, much looser than if it has been played (and certainly looser than being fast-forward/rewound).

Mmmmmm...I've got all kind of NOS 1/4" reels...both in the 7" plastic reels and 10.5" metal reels, and some pancakes, and they are all tightly packed and almost mirror smooth. Even my 1/2" and 2" NOS stock are all the same way, tight and mirror like....nothing is "loosely" packed.

Not sure about Scotch 203. being loosely packed when NOS/unused....?

Mmmmmm...I've got all kind of NOS 1/4" reels...both in the 7" plastic reels and 10.5" metal reels, and some pancakes, and they are all tightly packed and almost mirror smooth. Even my 1/2" and 2" NOS stock are all the same way, tight and mirror like....nothing is "loosely" packed.

I was talking specifically about Scotch 203, I think it has to do with the leader and being sealed up with adhesive, but the reel I had was very loose. The other tape I've opened new came packed much tighter.

I just got ahold of 21 reels of "NOS" 203 1/4" 1800'. Ironically, when they arrived, the storage boxes were in varying condition. One could say some were probably not new, while others were clearly relatively brand new.

The only way to say if green box 203 is new is the added leader tape they give you. I believe there is an adhesive that once removed, can't be reattached. They all still have the adhesive. The question that I ask now is this; does for instance a non-sealed reel show any differences to a sealed one? The 203 is placed in plastic, in the case, and then sealed with cellophane. All my reels are unrecorded, but I wonder if the sealed-box reels are any different than the ones that had the cellophane rip off over the years.

All of the green box 203 I've purchased NOS were sealed in cellophane (also have the little cardboard slip-over inside). Just FYI ... not to say they did not offer them new unsealed as well. I think green box 203 is early '70s (could be wrong) ... I believe they discontinued 203 at some point around 1973, but just a guess ... I can't remember where I came to that date.

If we're talking Scotch 203, you're correct, the leader tape has some adhesive. I think it can be reattached but it is not nearly as strong after the first time. The green cardboard outer/plastic box 203 might not even have had any kind of cellophane over it originally. In my experience, if unplayed, the reel should be relatively loosely packed, much looser than if it has been played (and certainly looser than being fast-forward/rewound).

I thought you were bulk buying Scotch 206 1/2" tape...?

I'll second the idea that new out of the box 203 does have a "looseness" to it.

And I am buying the 1/2" 206. I just happened to come across a nice lot of Green Box 203 had to pick it up.

And Donny, do you know at what point the 203 reels switched from completely clear, to then having the embossed 3M/Scotch logo painted gold? I have identical green box reels, some all clear, some with gold, just curious.

And Donny, do you know at what point the 203 reels switched from completely clear, to then having the embossed 3M/Scotch logo painted gold? I have identical green box reels, some all clear, some with gold, just curious.

hmm ... I've never noticed that variation, so not sure

Is there a guide anywhere on this forum that'll tell me what brands and formulations to go for and which to avoid? I need 0.04" thick 1/4" on 7" reels

Back