Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: New to me MCI JH24 - stupid annoying problem

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Good to hear it was just the tension being out of whack, and not a problem with the sensors or anything.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jpmorris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congrats!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ladewd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The JH-24 was a very analog machine. Yes, there are many logic chips controlling things, but the tension calculations and obviously the audio is all analog. The only microprocessor in the machine is in the Auto-Locator. Youíll find with many of the analog adjustments you have to go around in circles a few times before everything comes into spec. The adjustments, especially on the Analog Torque Board are very interactive. One adjustment affects the other 3 so going through the adjustment several times is always neccesary. Just have confidence that whatís in the manual is tried and true. If something looks off by a mile, then something is broken. I never paid much attention to the troubleshooting hints in the manual. Although sometimes they can possibly point you in the right direction, more often than not, their solutions are not very effective.

Also keep the logic annunciator board around. We never used them at the factory, but they can come in handy if you ever need to troubleshoot any logic problems. Itís funny you found the board inside the machine, it was an option when purchasing the machine new. Youíd think people would take care of them! Did the machine come with Extender cards for the audio boards? There should be a set of 3 if I remember correctly. You wonít need these for audio alignments, but if you ever need to troubleshoot an individual audio card, they are a necessity.

What year was the machine manufactured? We made them from around 1982 to 1987. The ones built after 1984 had Sony logos on them as well as MCI.

Cary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ladewd View Post
    The JH-24 was a very analog machine. Yes, there are many logic chips controlling things, but the tension calculations and obviously the audio is all analog. The only microprocessor in the machine is in the Auto-Locator. You’ll find with many of the analog adjustments you have to go around in circles a few times before everything comes into spec. The adjustments, especially on the Analog Torque Board are very interactive. One adjustment affects the other 3 so going through the adjustment several times is always neccesary. Just have confidence that what’s in the manual is tried and true. If something looks off by a mile, then something is broken. I never paid much attention to the troubleshooting hints in the manual. Although sometimes they can possibly point you in the right direction, more often than not, their solutions are not very effective.

Also keep the logic annunciator board around. We never used them at the factory, but they can come in handy if you ever need to troubleshoot any logic problems. It’s funny you found the board inside the machine, it was an option when purchasing the machine new. You’d think people would take care of them! Did the machine come with Extender cards for the audio boards? There should be a set of 3 if I remember correctly. You won’t need these for audio alignments, but if you ever need to troubleshoot an individual audio card, they are a necessity.

What year was the machine manufactured? We made them from around 1982 to 1987. The ones built after 1984 had Sony logos on them as well as MCI.

Cary
    This says it was made in July, 1982.

Extender cards? What do those do? I definitely don't have any, but I'll hunt for some if it's something I need.

Sean

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by seankerns View Post
    Extender cards? What do those do?
    This is what an extender card looks like, though this is for an Otari deck...but the ones for the MCI should look similar.

OTARI MTR10 / MTR12 AUDIO EXTENDER CARD | eBay

What they do is allow you to pull an audio card out...stick the extender in that channel slot...and then stick the audio card onto the extender.
    That allows you full access to a given audio/channel card to work on it, adjust it, while it is plugged in and the deck powered up.

Without the extender card...you only really have access to the front edge of your audio/channel cards and whatever adjustment pots are there...which is OK for basic calibration stuff...but when you have to troubleshoot a card/channel...the extender card makes it a lot easier.

I have two for my Otari MX-80...I almost bought a 3rd as a back up.
    That way I can have to audio/channel cards sticking out if needed rather than pull one out, test, put it back, move the extender card...etc...etc.

Also have an extender card for my Trident console, so I can raise up/out on channel strip and still have it connected to the console...and it has been a big help on a few occasions when I was overhauling the console and needed to troubleshoot a couple of odd issues.

Thanks
    So at a minimum, Iíd need one?

Thanks
    One is all you really need....I just happened to run across a couple more, so I grabbed a second one as these are parts that are no longer manufactured.

Thanks
    On the JH-24 there are 3 different Extender cards. One for the reproduce board, one for the Rec/Cue card and one for the Bias card. They shouldnít be too hard to find, there are a lot of these machines out there. You could contact David at Studio Electronics and see if he has a set. Every once and a while thereís a JH-24 sitting in the shop when I come in. We usually sell the parts and scrap them. Itís kind of painful for me seeing things I built getting junked. I donít participate in that area of the business. I like to repair things.

Thanks
    On the JH-24 there are 3 different Extender cards. One for the reproduce board, one for the Rec/Cue card and one for the Bias card. They shouldn’t be too hard to find, there are a lot of these machines out there. You could contact David at Studio Electronics and see if he has a set. Every once and a while there’s a JH-24 sitting in the shop when I come in. We usually sell the parts and scrap them. It’s kind of painful for me seeing things I built getting junked. I don’t participate in that area of the business. I like to repair things.
    Cool, thanks Cary. I only found one set, but the person who has them (though he does have all three) doesn't seem to know enough about them that I'd risk $60 each for a set.

Actually, I've bought a bunch of (so far little) stuff from Studio Electronics already. They were like the first result when I searched for replacement lamps for the VU meters. They seem very nice, and they ship really quickly, considering they're on the other side of the country from me. I haven't seen the cards on their site, but I'll keep looking. Weird that the optional Logic Annunciator was there, but not the standard extenders.
    Hmm. Maybe, given where the annunciator was, I should hunt around in there with a flashlight.

Thanks
    On the JH-24 there are 3 different Extender cards.
    Learn something ever day.

OK...one "set of 3" is all you need.

Thread Information