New ATR 1 mil tape-interested?

One argument for a +3 tape rather then +6 is that ATR wouldn't be competing against LPR-35. But, I think a +6 tape still makes more sense overall, that would present the largest market for a 1mil tape. However, I got my MBA out of a cracker jack box. The marketing geniuses are free to disagree.

Just another observation, Lambretta scooters haven't been made since 1971. You can find all sorts of after market parts for them however. If this actually goes somewhere, I wonder if you might not find new manufacture narrow gauge heads.

Well it finally is going to happen so it is said. ATR to release a 1 mil tape but when and at what price is yet unknown. They sent a member on Tapeheads.net a message saying it is coming out.

I'll send Mike a request Zorf.
Good looking out there.

High Bias 1/4" would be a game changer for the 388. ie:Higher recording levels without necessarily the need for dbx, greater dynamic range. wow.

The 388 is meant for 457 and there is no reason to think that ATR 1 mil is that much different than that. Even if it can handle higher flux density levels the machine of the 388 will not be relative to that as it is cassette with tracks. It was a novelty way back and there are not going to be many left running especially when they need heads- they are all gone. Using a 388 is going the way of the DAT- put stuff on it and you may be wasting your time as there will be no way to recover the audio once the unit stops or needs heads.
I work on Tascam products all the time and the 388 I don't even take in as it is too large and would be too costly to fix.
The difference in this tape will not make dBx unnecessary and you will not see any dynamic range difference- you are dreaming.

As long as ATR is so pricey I'll stick to RMGI SM911 and second hand tape. However if I was still using quarter inch eight track for anything for demos I'd be interested in the tape in question.

What I'd really like would be RMGI to start making 468 again... I dig the way the highs are preserved on this tape, even with longer storage or really heavy use. Also a +3 tape could be nice. Except for the lack of 468 and one bad roll of SM911 out of many I'm quite happy with RMGI and for me as a low income music bum ATR is way out of reach financially. I'd be willing to order a roll if their pricing was more reasonable.

Back