NEW ALBUM using Fostex 80, Tascam System 20, Cakewalk Pro Audio 9

SubGroove

Hi gang,

I wanted to drop by to share my appreciation for this forum, its members and all the information I gleamed while searching for and acquiring gear to record my band Sub Groove's debut Funk Rock album. It is finally completed and will "drop" in a couple of weeks. You guys can hear it first on bandcamp. Sub Groove | Sub Groove

Drums, bass, guitars, lead vocals, backing vocals and some percussion were recorded using a Tascam System 20 into a Fostex 80 1/4" tape, then dumped into Cakewalk 9 (not a misprint!). Additional elements and percussion were recorded using the System 20 directly to Cakewalk. Mixing was completed using Cakewalk 9 and Sonar 5.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!

To be honest, I'm a noobie at this and it was my first crack at the complete process.... Had a blast!
I do have 2 PE-20s and EX-20s. I liked what I could do with the PE-20 but found it a bit noisy. I did use it on the clean rhythm guitar in "Recipe" and just the lead guitar parts in "Just Keep Running Away". That's it!

Thanks for the reply!

To be honest, I'm a noobie at this and it was my first crack at the complete process.... Had a blast!
I do have 2 PE-20s and EX-20s. I liked what I could do with the PE-20 but found it a bit noisy. I did use it on the clean rhythm guitar in "Recipe" and just the lead guitar parts in "Just Keep Running Away". That's it!

Well, you got the ideal system to start out then, and you'll be leaps ahead with your grasp of the signal chain and process. The System 20 was popular in recording courses at community colleges and such because with the modular design you get a great picture of signal flow. The PE-20 can be modded to be a lot quieter. I still have one around here in a box somewhere (I think) that I modded. You can mod the main module and the EX-20 as well with different op-amps and a few metal film resistors. It's a pretty cool system. I bought mine back in the day when I had the original TEAC 144 Portstudio. It was a perfect mate and the color even matched.

And the Fostex Model 80 is awesome by the way.

Well, you got the ideal system to start out then, and you'll be leaps ahead with your grasp of the signal chain and process. The System 20 was popular in recording courses at community colleges and such because with the modular design you get a great picture of signal flow. The PE-20 can be modded to be a lot quieter. I still have one around here in a box somewhere (I think) that I modded. You can mod the main module and the EX-20 as well with different op-amps and a few metal film resistors. It's a pretty cool system. I bought mine back in the day when I had the original TEAC 144 Portstudio. It was a perfect mate and the color even matched.

And the Fostex Model 80 is awesome by the way.

Great info, thanks! Yes, I really enjoyed working with the Model 80. I did have sticky shed issues in the beginning but was able to locate some good tape that held up. Nice to know about the mods which I would like to do. We are about 50% into the writing process for the 2nd album and I'd like to record it using the same process to see how I can improve on what I've learned. After that, I'll most likely upgrade :-)

Sean

Last edited:
Back