Need help identifying old phone recorder

kayy__bee

New to this, need some help identifying this old telephone recorder
Hello, so I am new to this.. Was actually referred to this website by the president of the museum of magnetic sound in Austin, TX.
Yesterday I picked up a Magnasync/ moviola telephone recorder. It weighs about 300 lbs, everything works, has top two tapes and 10" reels but not bottom ones. t's in great condition. I was told it's from the 70's. I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little bit more about it and what it would be worth and how to go about it. The model number is : 2-R/P-AS-30+T1"
If you could please let me know that would be awesome! Thank you!

Okay, so, what you have is a magnasync logging recorder. Should have a buttload of tracks for individual phone lines or whatever is being recorded. Probably mainly used by emergency dispatch/the faa/military.

Those missing bottom reels are actually a fail safe for the reels on the top. You need reels on both really. Basically if an emergency call was being recorded and the top recorder failed, it immedietly switched to the bottom, so you essentially have two recorders.

I am assuming that if what you have is what I think it is, then its only real usage is logging. The tape runs at far too slow a speed to make it useful in any music recording or for film audio. Its basically dead technology in every sense. Pretty much useless unless you enjoy looking at it. And I saw two people pretty much giving them away on craigslist.

On the flip side. Open her up if you can't find a buyer. You might get lucky and find some nice tubes or something useful.

Last edited:
Back