Is my Tascam388 dying?

SwanSong

Hey all, I have some questions about some problems me and my friends are having with our Tascam 388.

About a week or more ago, we were listening to some stuff we did, and all of a sudden the 'stop' button seemed to start working only when it wanted to, which was seldom. If we hit fastforward it would usually go until it took it completely off the reel. Well today we were going to check it out again, and we played some of the tape, but when we hit stop, it stopped very abruptly, like something was wrong, and then the take up reel wouldn't move anymore, like a gear or something might have got broke.

Has anyone experienced these problems and are there any Do It Yourself solutions? If anyone knows anything and could help out I would greatly appriciate it. Thanks,
SwanSong

By the way, the 388 was bought and picked up ourselves in April, and never gave us a problem once until this.

Is your tape loaded on correctly? When I first got my 388 I had no clue what I was doing......and I'm sure I had this problem. I just read the manual, and saw I had the tape all on wrong.......I'm an idiot I know, but it was my first tape machine

Back