My oh my .... what a beauty!

Not that it ain't a beauty (it is) but the claim that it was the type of machine used at Abby Road 64-68 just ain't so. They used BTR (British Tape Recorders) for four tracks at that time. BUT, I wouldn't mind having this one laying around the house. :D

Track Rat said:
Not that it ain't a beauty (it is) but the claim that it was the type of machine used at Abby Road 64-68 just ain't so. They used BTR (British Tape Recorders) for four tracks at that time. BUT, I wouldn't mind having this one laying around the house. :D

Did Abbey Road use a 4 track 1" as well, Mike ?

~Daniel :)

cjacek said:
Did Abbey Road use a 4 track 1" as well, Mike ?

~Daniel :)

It is said that the Beatles did use that format in the late 60's. They did track bouncing between two machines (listen to the noise increase dramatically when they overdub the moog on 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer'). Supposedly Abbey Road (the album) was made using a combination of overdubs and two synchronised 4-tracks.

But that's just what I've heard.

Edit: I've just remembered that the studio didn't have 8-track until about the time 'Atom Heart Mother' was recorded by Pink Floyd. And then they weren't allowed to splice the tape because the machine was new and nobody knew how well it would take it :)

jpmorris said:
It is said that the Beatles did use that format in the late 60's. They did track bouncing between two machines (listen to the noise increase dramatically when they overdub the moog on 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer'). Supposedly Abbey Road (the album) was made using a combination of overdubs and two synchronised 4-tracks.

But that's just what I've heard.

Edit: I've just remembered that the studio didn't have 8-track until about the time 'Atom Heart Mother' was recorded by Pink Floyd. And then they weren't allowed to splice the tape because the machine was new and nobody knew how well it would take it :)

Abbey Road was recorded on the first 8-track recorder. The song "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" was done on a 4-track and dumped to the 8-track recorder "lifted" from the office of the studio manager. Abbey Road Studios were evaluating the new 8-track machine when the Beatles hi-jacked the machine from the office and recorded the album. I Want You was the first song recorded for the new album. The rest of the album was straight 8-track.

It was the album Sgt. Pepper that used the synched 4-track recorders.

Back