My Fostex been actin' up again...

Hey guys,

So I've been recording with my Fostex Model 80 for the last couple months in preparation for my upcoming album, and it's been awesome. I track to tape (sometimes use a click and put down main guitar, bass, vocals, and keyboard/synth tracks) and then run everything into Logic for overdubs, edits and mixing. I've found a nice balance where the two compliment each other and I feel like I've finally found a method of recording that inspires me to make more music. There really is a difference in performance when you use tape, and my stuff just sounds way better with the color that tape adds. I started on cassette 4-track back in the late 90's and find that my recording sound more like me when I use analog.

Here's where I ask some questions though. First, I was wondering if any has ever adjusted the supply reel RW speed by turning it's PCB pot (or whatever that's called?) I've read a couple things about people fixing their slow rewind problem by adjusting one those, but there are no descriptions out there that document just how to do it. My machine rewinds really slowly when I'm at the start of a fresh tape, and only starts to act normal when I'm about halfway into the reel. I know where the control pots are on the bottom of the unit, but I've never messed with any of them. I would like to increase the strength of the supply reels RW so it doesn't struggle to get going when it has a full reel of tape, and also fail to stop at zero when I hit RTZ, often going way over and then having to auto FF to get back.

My other issue is that after about 30-45 minutes of use, an intermittent squeaking starts to happen that's audible on the recordings. It a real take killer. Super obnoxious sound! It sounds sounds like it's coming from the take-up side, somewhere right around the capstan and pinch roller wheel and that tape guide thing right before the tension wheel arm. It happens once a second (not continuous).

It's not from old sticky shed tape, or a dirty tape path as I'm using new LPR 35 and have cleaned the path and PRW often. I tried putting a little oil on the shaft of that tape guide wheel next to the pinch roller (don't know what that thing's called, sorry) and have even held the plastic wheel that spins as the tape goes over it to see if that was what was creating the sound, and it kept on happening so I'm at a loss. I looked up some possible remedies, but so far haven't found much besides oiling different things inside of it, which I'm reluctant to do as I have no experience with this machine. I've opened it up a couple times to inspect the belts and they seem okay.

If anybody has any tips or suggestions they'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jau

I was going to suggest checking the belts but I've just spotted the part where you checked that. The other possibility for slow winding - one that had me scratching my head for years on the B77 - is that the brakes are still engaging slightly so it might be worth ruling out mechanical issues before attempting to correct it electronically.

The noise - when you say it appears in the recordings do you mean it's somehow being printed to tape, or simply that it's so loud and penetrating that it's coming through on the mic?

Yeah, I should check that. I was thinking that it had something to do with the strength of the RW because it only has trouble when I'm at the start of a fresh tape tape to about a quarter through, then it works fine. I've asked this question on a couple different forums and have been looking online a lot for solutions but haven't had any luck. Someone over at Tapeheads has suggested the adjustment but doesn't know how to do it. I may just dig in at this point.

The noise is really high-pitch and gets picked up by the mic. Only starts to get going after a half hour or so. Otherwise, this thing is great! haha

In regards to the squeal, you SURE there's no issue with the belts? It almost sounds like when a car's power steering belt needs to be replaced.

Are the reel drive belts on the M80 flat like the A8, or toothed like the R8?

EDIT: Oh, try swapping the belts over and see if the noise moves. (It may also change the point in the tape when the noise manifests)

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure, I opened it up and they seemed okay but maybe there's an issue. I may as well buy a new set from Marrs Belts when they are up and running again. It can't hurt. If I'm going to go in there and take things apart I may as well put new ones in. The belts are flat, and pretty much exactly like the A8 (which I own too, but has some noisy pop issues on track 5).

I know when a belt is obviously in need of a change (i.e. really loose, dry/cracked, or snapped in two) but what are other things to look for when checking them that would tell you you need a change besides the obvious?

Thanks again guys.

I know when a belt is obviously in need of a change (i.e. really loose, dry/cracked, or snapped in two) but what are other things to look for when checking them that would tell you you need a change besides the obvious?
Thanks again guys.

I'm not sure if there would be a visible sign - what I'm wondering is if the belt is marginal, i.e. it's loose enough that it slips under heavy load but not lighter ones.

On the inside of a belt that's been slipping, it can develop a shiny 'polished' look. Maybe the belt has stretched to where it's loose and slips, but it's not obvious when you visually inspect it.

Getting new belts is always a good idea.
:D

Yeah, I'll check 'em when I take 'em out. Ordered a new set today. I'll let you guys know what happens. I used it again earlier, and it started to squeal after running for 15 minutes or so. I listened carefully and it seems like it's coming from the right reel. I'm not sure why it only starts up after spinning for 15 minutes but I will get to the bottom of this. Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully I'll have good news next time you hear from me.

I found this on the DR Zee site. It's pertaining to the R8 model, but describes the same problem I'm having with the "chirping" sound. The R8 has a plastic capstan wheel which I'm not sure the Model 80 has (the Model 80 has copper and metal reel pulleys where the R8 has plastic) but when I receive the belt set I ordered I'll find out. Here's the link for anyone who visits this thread in the future.

http://mzentertainment.com/pics/fostex_r8/dr_zee_workshop_fostex_r8_project_part_3.jpg

It's worth checking - see if there are any marks where the pulleys have been scraping. But if that was the case I'm not sure it would start to happen after the machine warmed up or the load between the reels had shifted - I'd expect it to be squeaking the whole time.
Let us know what you find!

Back