my first expirience with

antispatula

tape shedding. I finally got some old used tape to use for my mx5050. Not to record of course, but just to use as a take-up reel. I got 2 tapes. One, I just cut off all the tape. The other, I was planning to use to test all the tracks record and playback. After much confusement, I got it working, and WOW! The recording on it was increadible!! I listened to a few minutes of it, then grew uneasy at the fact that it was old tape, and much to my displeasure, I took off the tape and saw that there was sticky and hard tape shed all over the tape's path like the heads and pinch roller (made of electric tape at the moment :cool: ). So I cleaned them with denatured alcohol and a few q tips. So I guess I've got 2 questions:

1. Is using q tips ok for cleaning heads? And there isn't any special way to do it is there?

2. I want to listen to the old tape! But I don't want it to screw up my maching. I've never baked tape before, but would that work? The tape is on two reels right now......I didn't want to finish FFing it because of the shed.....what to do?

Thanks!!

Glad to hear that you found the playback signal to be incedible.

Save your money and get a new tape.

You can clean the heads with cotton swab (Q-Tip) and that pro head cleaner from radio shack.

Dip the swab into the head cleaner solution and then roll it on a clean paper towel so it is not too wet before wiping the head.

Wipe the head with the swab in a side-to-side motion, not up and down.

Forget about the old tape unless someone is paying you to restore it.

Back