My boss just gave me an all tube reel

antispatula

So, I'm pretty new to the idea of tubular machines. I know they're better, but does it make a huge difference? My boss gave me this OLD mono reel to reel that has like 5 knobs for the whole machine (EQ is ONE knob :)). It's simplre, I've tested it, and it works great, and it's all tube. Does having it all tube make a huge diff? Thanks!

antispatula said:
So, I'm pretty new to the idea of tubular machines. I know they're better, but does it make a huge difference? My boss gave me this OLD mono reel to reel that has like 5 knobs for the whole machine (EQ is ONE knob :)). It's simplre, I've tested it, and it works great, and it's all tube. Does having it all tube make a huge diff? Thanks!

What's the brand name and model?

Tubes can make a difference in sound (which you may or may not like), but it really depends on the make and model (not to mention the condition). It could be shit, it could be great.

Yes. It's a good thing. I've got two Akai reels that have damn good sounding preamps in them that I run mics through, without even bothering with the tape at all.

as for the model, it's a Viking Full Fidelity 75 RP61. I've never heard or seen anything like it. It looks reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally old.

Back