Multi-track service in Toronto?

ENEN

Hi to any Toronto residents / analog enthusiast.

I live up in Ottawa and have an Otari MX-70 that needs to be looked at by a tech. Unfortunately, there isn't anyone in Ottawa that will do this work.

Can anyone from the Toronto area recommend a tech? I have spoken with Patrick at Tele-Tech, but he is unable to provide me with an estimate, which is something I require.

The issue I'm having is with the amp cards. It seems that the relays and the bias circuits deteriorate over time and cause a 'wind' or 'swooshing' noise to be printed to tape.

I have done a search on the topic "Toronto" "repair" and nothing came up.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ian

Thanks Ghost.

I have already gone that route.

They don't have a recommendation for Canada. The fellow they did recommend is Soren Whitrup in Chicago. He is one of my options, but I would not be able to get the machine to him, only the cards, and the shipping / duty is an issue.

Thanks for the input.

Ian

It's too bad Patrick can't offer you an estimate.

I know that he does have experience with servicing Otari's but perhaps because of the nature of the problem, he might have to spend hours of bench time just tracking down the offending parts and doesn't want to waste his time.

I have used him before for a couple of repairs on my 16 track TASCAM but I paid him straight bench time and trusted him to work quickly and successfully, which he did, when he did any work for me.

With professional analog repair shops, I think the guys who are still in it are developing a bit of a god complex in that they know that there aren't 1000 other guys in town fighting for your maintenance dollar so they become a bit spoiled by knowing they're often the only game in town.

Cheers! :)

Ha ha - God complex! You hit it on the head! Their just isn't that many people around to do the work... supply and demand, etc.

Patrick seems like a great fellow from my conversations with him and I trust he would do good work. Most likely I will just have to take plunge and go in without an estimate and hope for the best cost wise.

I was hoping their was atleast a second option in TO. Oh well. If anyone else has any input please feel free to respond.

Thanks again Ghost, you rock and are an asset to the community.

Ian

Back