MSR16 one track card wacky!

ron-e-g

Hello, I picked up a MSR16 last week, It appears really clean, and pretty low mileage. The heads seem to have light wear, and the rubber looks good. But as I have no 1/2" tape (having sold all the ones I had) previously. I can't actually check the R/P functions. I did however, send a few signals to it from the on-board oscillator of the mixer. Firs thing I noticed, track 16 responding funny compared to all the others. It doesn't seem to want to except the signal smoothly. By that I mean, it is either too low to register on the led's, or it wants to peak. Another thing I have discovered so far, is that when I engage the DBX button 9-16 that track 16 led's peak and stay until I take the DBX off. I moved Trk 16 Rec/Play card to TRK15. It does the same thing. So pretty sure it's the card. But what? An adjustment maybe..I hope. I'm hoping someone here has possibly had same symptoms or recognizes them.

Ron

I've had 2 (still have one)
My first one had that issue. Just lived with it and had an msr15 lol

Dont know the answer, but for sure it's in that card.

I'm no help other than giving a free bump to you.
:D

I am trying to remember here, but don't the cards cover 2 tracks, for example the card from track 16 also have track 15 on it? If so if you swapped the card to say 13/14 from 15/16 the problem would then appear on track 14 not 15.

Try cleaning all the connectors between the cards and the machine, it could be oxidised and this causes resistance and signal problems like what you are talking about. Also track 16 has the button for using time code, this disables the DBX so that channel 16 code does not get affected by the DBX, this button or bypass circuit could be causing a problem, if the previous owner always used time code they may not have known about it.

Alan.

Thanks witzendoz, jpmorris is right each track has it's own respective card. Excellent idea about cleaning past the card/machine point. Too, The previous user I think did indeed use the time code as I also received a JL Cooper synchronizer with the unit.

Thanks for your input jpmorris.

I figured the card confusion, you are talking about the amp PCB assy, there are 16 of these. I am talking about the DBX PCBs, this is the card that 2 channels share 1 card, and this is the card you may find has a bad connection or component if there is trouble with the noise reduction or signal flow. There are front connectors, and the cards slot into rear pins, they are sometimes hard to get in and out but if it's a bad rear connection even taking them in and out will clean the pins.

Cheers
Alan.

Thanks for clarifying that witzendoz. That's a great idea, as the meter does peg when introducing the DBX. That would lead me to think that would be a prime culprit. Now to locate where exactly where those cards are, and how to get to -em!:rolleyes:

Anyone know where a free service manual can be had for this guy? specifically maybe the parts breakdown. Seems to be a bit elusive on this model.

Thanks Allan. The only thing I could find, was a (Partial) user/Maintenance, and a Block diagram only version. But..however, what I was looking for seems to be missing from Tascams exploded view/parts numbers.
On my machine the counter roller has a washer, and a spring. I see no such parts in the view provided nor any part or number associated with them.

I don't need the parts..thank goodness! But I can't really remember if the spring goes under or over the roller on the shaft. Then the washer>snap-ring. Come to think of it now I didn't see the snap-ring listed either! Oh, forgot to mention. I found the rubber a tad sticky/gooey on the counter roller. I sent it to Terry Whitt.

My counter roller, in fact every roller has been replaced by Terry.

Working from memory, which is getting bad now a days LOL. The counter roller has a photo electric cell interupter (can't think of a better name) on the back side, so I think the spring and goes on the outside, then the washer, then the circlip (real name for the snap ring), but I could be wrong as its been a while since Ive had this apart.

Alan.

Perhaps it will be self evident when I install it back.:facepalm: Wonder how a person would order a spring, or washer, or even the circlip.:confused:

I have been waiting on delivery of some DeoxIT before removing the back panels along with the PCB that covers the DBX cards. I removed the connectors for all and sprayed them. I didn't effect the symptom I'm having with TRK 16. I think the problem must be the REC/Play card. Anyone have any ideas where I should check. As It's pretty remote where I live (in the way of MTR analog technology) Pretty sure no one works on these around here.

I have been waiting on delivery of some DeoxIT before removing the back panels along with the PCB that covers the DBX cards. I removed the connectors for all and sprayed them. I didn't effect the symptom I'm having with TRK 16. I think the problem must be the REC/Play card. Anyone have any ideas where I should check. As It's pretty remote where I live (in the way of MTR analog technology) Pretty sure no one works on these around here.

When you say you removed the connectors, did you pull the cards out and put them back to clean the tab connectors on the rear of the cards?

Alan.

Seems the DBX PCB's I found. Only had a connection on the outside. None when you slid them into their prospective slot. I mean they didn't have any connections to engage in the back, like the rec/play amp cards. I found 8 vertical PCB cards with another (same size, but somewhat different in configuration so total 9 set vertically in the back. They were locked behind a sliding bar that keeps them in place. behind another large PCB. Are they the DBX PCB's?

Seems the DBX PCB's I found. Only had a connection on the outside. None when you slid them into their prospective slot. I mean they didn't have any connections to engage in the back, like the rec/play amp cards. I found 8 vertical PCB cards with another (same size, but somewhat different in configuration so total 9 set vertically in the back. They were locked behind a sliding bar that keeps them in place. behind another large PCB. Are they the DBX PCB's?

Yep, I was thinking of the wrong card again, the 8 cards are the DBX noise reduction cards, but they actually do more than noise reduction. And yes there are no connections on the rear, been a while since I had mine apart. Check all the caps on the 8 cards, there could be a blown or bad cap that is causing the problems.

Alan.

Yea, easily done. I will do as you suggest Alan. Meanwhile..you know if anyone is offering a service whereby I would send them the cad in question, and they do check/repair?

Back