More adventures in Midiizerland!!!!

Hello - I recognize that this is an old thread, but I'm hoping some of you are still following conversations on the Tascam MSR 16. I recently bought one and have two mysteries I'm trying to solve. I managed to find a PDF of the manual, so that was helpful. Anyway, I am routing from the Submaster Section of my Toft ATB-16 to a Patchbay then from there to in/out of the MSR-16. The ATB is like many analog boards of old. The submitter section has 8 channels out. Each input channel has selector switches in pairs for 1-8 "send" to the sub section. You pan L-R for odd even 1-8 in the sub. I also use the Apollo 16 silver interface. I'm testing various channels of the MSR-16 to see if things are going where you would expect and returning same. I'm routing a L-R output from iTunes into each of the Submaster channels and then pushing that out to the MSR 16. Note that I only have channels 1-8 connected on the MSR-16. However, when I send the signal, I get input at both 1 &9, 2&10, 3&11 - and so on. . .you get the picture. If the signal appears at Channel 1, it also appears on 9s. I can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening inside the MSR-16. Would someone be able to suggest what is going on here? Again, I am a total novice with this 16 track MSR-16.

My second problem is that I would like to integrate this tape machine into my studio environment. . . perhaps to track drums and bass through it and have it synched with my sequencer software - Digital Performer using SMPTE. I've found a piece of software called Horae that looks like it might work if I could figure out how the software works. It has LTC Generator and Read. So I'm thinking set SMPTE as the "clock" and slave Digital Performer. My question is? - 'Does anyone have SMPTE expertise with tape and digital worlds who might be able to offer some advie?'

Thank you in advance. Best. Steve

You might want to start a new thread in the Tascam sub-forum.

Hello - I recognize that this is an old thread, but I'm hoping some of you are still following conversations on the Tascam MSR 16. I recently bought one and have two mysteries I'm trying to solve. I managed to find a PDF of the manual, so that was helpful. Anyway, I am routing from the Submaster Section of my Toft ATB-16 to a Patchbay then from there to in/out of the MSR-16. The ATB is like many analog boards of old. The submitter section has 8 channels out. Each input channel has selector switches in pairs for 1-8 "send" to the sub section. You pan L-R for odd even 1-8 in the sub. I also use the Apollo 16 silver interface. I'm testing various channels of the MSR-16 to see if things are going where you would expect and returning same. I'm routing a L-R output from iTunes into each of the Submaster channels and then pushing that out to the MSR 16. Note that I only have channels 1-8 connected on the MSR-16. However, when I send the signal, I get input at both 1 &9, 2&10, 3&11 - and so on. . .you get the picture. If the signal appears at Channel 1, it also appears on 9s. I can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening inside the MSR-16. Would someone be able to suggest what is going on here? Again, I am a total novice with this 16 track MSR-16.

My second problem is that I would like to integrate this tape machine into my studio environment. . . perhaps to track drums and bass through it and have it synched with my sequencer software - Digital Performer using SMPTE. I've found a piece of software called Horae that looks like it might work if I could figure out how the software works. It has LTC Generator and Read. So I'm thinking set SMPTE as the "clock" and slave Digital Performer. My question is? - 'Does anyone have SMPTE expertise with tape and digital worlds who might be able to offer some advie?'

Thank you in advance. Best. Steve

Right forum, but wrong topic. Start new topic.

Hi y'all,

I realize this thread was started a while back, but I was wondering if anyone had the documentation on the d-sub pins on PW-5md cable available. I just got an MSR-16 and a Midiizer and am hoping to sync them up (and eventually incorporate another MSR-16), but first I need to build this particular cable, or have the documentation to give to a local tech to work with.

Thanks!
Tom

Back