Mixing a Strumming Guitar Analog

Man you just came up with the new Pixar movie: Gus the Guitar Saves The Session. Or is that too much alliteration?:thumbs up:

Thanks everyone.... This has been really helpful!!!! I've just done fooling around for about an hour and so far, using the dynamic mic is looking to be winning. The condensor mic is picking up a lot more of the plectrum clicks (which sent me down another rabbit trail.....).

I also tried the proximity effect setup and that does show promise except the slightest change of the guitar angle really changes the sound..... I think I have to work on being a little more still for that one..... btw.... the guitar is a Martin 00X1AE

Here's the setup right now:

file feb 03, 1 10 53 pm.jpeg

A couple of things.....
1. The condensor mic is just there because I'm going to fool around a little with two mics before I get back to recording.......and......
2. I am not channeling my inner Aerosmith. The Mic doesn't fit in the holder and my wife's curtain tiebacks were the handiest thing to grab :D

Thanks everyone.... This has been really helpful!!!! I've just done fooling around for about an hour and so far, using the dynamic mic is looking to be winning. The condensor mic is picking up a lot more of the plectrum clicks (which sent me down another rabbit trail.....).

I also tried the proximity effect setup and that does show promise except the slightest change of the guitar angle really changes the sound..... I think I have to work on being a little more still for that one..... btw.... the guitar is a Martin 00X1AE

Here's the setup right now:
A couple of things.....
1. The condensor mic is just there because I'm going to fool around a little with two mics before I get back to recording.......
I hope that position for the MXL is just temporary, because you do know it's supposed to be vertical (side address), right?

P.S. Yes, you do have to behave differently to record than playing around the campfire or just banging away in your own house. The angle of the mic and distance are your key to getting the best out of any mic/room/player.

I hope that position for the MXL is just temporary, because you do know it's supposed to be vertical (side address), right?

Yes, it is temporary.... I was having set screw issues and never straightened it back. I'm not too proud to admit though that I used it in a similar position to that picture for about the first year I had it....:facepalm:

Back