Mixdown R2R- Size Matters!!

bachelorb

Cowboy Chord Virtuoso
I am looking for a small stereo reel to reel. We're traveling around in a trailer, so size is almost more important than sound quality (I know..... I know.... it's messed up). I would like good sound though ...... I've looked at a TC-200A, but not sure if it the best option.

Any recommendations from y'all would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I am looking for a small stereo reel to reel. We're traveling around in a trailer, so size is almost more important than sound quality (I know..... I know.... it's messed up). I would like good sound though ...... I've looked at a TC-200A, but not sure if it the best option.

Any recommendations from y'all would be appreciated.

Thanks,

What's your budget?

My budget is pretty low, but it doesn't have to work. It's kind of a hobby too. Where I used to fiddle with tractors, I'm now messing with recording stuff. I'll have to sell a couple of 244's I've fixed up, so probably around a couple hundred dollars.

Thanks RFR, I'll give them a look....

That one had promise FB, I was getting excited, but it has to fit in one of these....

image.jpeg

Which is about 19x14x 6-1/2 (inches). If my inches to mm is right, the Tascam is a little too big.

The Fostex A-2 would fit....

Well..... The Nagra fits everything but my budget.... Too bad too.... That one looks interesting!!

How about a Uher 4200? Disadvantages are that it uses 5" reels and tops out at 7.5ips, which would give you 8-12 minutes per reel depending if it's 600ft or 900ft.

Three heads better than two??

Thanks JP.... It's definitely in the running.... I was reading somewhere where it's better to have three heads on a mixdown deck.... Why??

Not that big a problem for mix down. You don't need the sync mode that three heads give you. The multi-track used for tracking must have three heads to allow overdubs, bouncing etc.

It looks like the golden years of nabbing reel to reels ended in about 2012 or even late 2011. I bought my Nagra IV-S (two of the) for less than a thousand bucks each back then. Same with 24 track 2" machines. I was passing on Studier 800 and 827s if they were more than 2500 bucks, Nowdays, add 10,000 dollars.

That's good to know.....

The same thing happened to Harmony Guitars.... I picked up my Sovereign for about 75 bucks years ago...... Now it's about 4 times that!!

It used to be the head gap (the gap between the ends of each head coil) were different lengths to focus on performing better for recording, or for reproducing. As technology and manufacturing processes improved, the gap was no longer a limitation in terms of frequency response and it became standard for the record and reproduce heads to be identical.

You don't need 3 heads for bouncing or overdubbing. The only reason three heads are beneficial is you can monitor as you record, and calibrating the machine is a lot quicker for certain stages of the calibration (like setting up the bias) since you can monitor adjustments you make to the record electronics as you make them by reproducing them off the reproduce head. This can be a pretty big benefit if you're lining up a 16 or 24 track machine.

I was going to suggest the Tascam 22-2 but it sounds like it is too big. It's a great small machine though...essentially a Model 32 but with the smaller 7" reels. My pick for a small mastering machine.

Will your plastic drawers handle the weight of a small open reel machine? You might need to upgrade your studio furniture! :)

Hmmmmm....... With two people recommending the same machine, I may have to give er another look...... Thanks

I would look at other studio furniture, but the plastic goes so well with the cigar box microphone case......

The Uher machines come in several varieties. The 'Report' ones are 2-head, the 'Monitor' series are 3-head. Keep in mind that only the 4200 is 2-track stereo - the 4000 series is mono, and the 4400 is 4-track stereo, which means that you can flip the tape over, but the quality is reduced.

Uher machines were used extensively as field recorders, where a Nagra was overkill. They were especially popular for recording interviews etc. until minidisc and DAT replaced them.

The Uher machines come in several varieties. The 'Report' ones are 2-head, the 'Monitor' series are 3-head. Keep in mind that only the 4200 is 2-track stereo - the 4000 series is mono, and the 4400 is 4-track stereo, which means that you can flip the tape over, but the quality is reduced.

Uher machines were used extensively as field recorders, where a Nagra was overkill. They were especially popular for recording interviews etc. until minidisc and DAT replaced them.

I was looking at those yesterday..... It seems you'd have to rig up some kind of RCA to microphone Jack adapter for the line in.... Am I right on this?

Also, how easy are these to work on?

Thanks,

I was looking at those yesterday..... It seems you'd have to rig up some kind of RCA to microphone Jack adapter for the line in.... Am I right on this?
Also, how easy are these to work on?
Thanks,

EDIT: They use DIN connectors. I did have to make up a cable for mine.

I haven't done much with the electronics on my 4000. I did have to replace the belts a while back. I seem to remember that was a little fiddly, but it could be a lot worse. The main electronics board is on a little panel which flips back, it's quite neat.

Here's a picture, I think it's an older version than mine: Uher 4000-S Photo by electric_monk86 | Photobucket

Keep in mind that something like a Tascam 22 is arguably a better choice for mastering, but if you want small and cheap, the Uher machines have a lot going for them.

I have a couple Tascam 22-2's. Good machines if they are working - I'd try to make that work.

I also have a Nagra IV-S, and they are every bit as good as you might think (and conveniently small), but they are expensive. They do need to be repaired on occasion as well, and they are precision machines that should be maintained by a qualified tech. Not for the small budget. I hardly use mine for fear of wearing the heads and facing that repair bill. Sunday driver only.

Back