mixdown hiss

Muckelroy said:
I realize that, I just didn't know how "pro" this person wanted to go.

pro enough to get radio play. I am leaning towards the otari or the revox.

Kool. Revox and Otari are both GREAT makers.

You might consider that Otari still makes parts, and, I dunno about revox? anyone?

I'm glad you're going for it. My first priority for a mixdown "unit" is an Alesis Masterlink. ............ I know, it's digital, but hey, it's a hard disk recorder, and CD recorder all in one, and one way or another, I need something that will record CD's w/out the involvement of an 1/8" stereo plug into my computer's sound card. ick.

Then I may try to find an Otari later on, budget and priorities permitting.

Good luck!

-callie-

jpmorris said:
People do use the high-speed A77 for mixdown. How good it sounds I don't know. But I can tell you that there is a guy on ebay in the UK who is refurbishing them. Recently he was selling a high-speed A77. I was interested but the price shot up very quickly.
The A77 never really excited me, and they're getting very old now. The B77 is a far better machine, but all the auctions I've seen locally seem overpriced.

After using the A77, B77, Tascam 32 and Tascam BR-20 in broadcasting I'd have to rank the B77 and 32 about equal, with the BR-20 being nicer to use. The A77 just seemed old an clunky, but it may have just been worn out!

That's just my 1.46c (2c NZ) worth :)

I think the PR99 looks phat.

does anyone have a link to the otari model designations?

FALKEN said:
Although I am surprised that nobody likes the 7.5 4-track Akais and Teacs. they look very stunning, a lot of people sell them mint or refurbed, and for cheap.

I VERY MUCH like 'em, especially the TEAC's. They're stunning, you're right, but they sound very nice too, even the cheapest ones. I wouldn't master to them but I'd surely take one with me to record a piano or guitar and then dump them later to my multitracker. Don't get the wrong impression, the 7 1/2 ips 4 trackers are hi - fi machines, stomp the shit out of cassettes and sound nicer than CD's but they serve a bit of a different purpose. That's all. I like 'em. :)

~Daniel

Back