mixdown Digital to analog questions

jay Burd

I record on to a Tascam DP 32 digital portable studio. in the past i usually do all my mixing and mastering in this machine and then take transfer the song from the SD card to my computer and that is the final product. I want to try recording a song on the DP32 then somehow getting individual tracks out to mixing console for mixing and then a stereo out from there through any outboard stereo affects I have to a stereo tape machine. then from there i would want to get my stereo mix on the tape machine back to digital format (which i'm not sure how i would do). I could just still do the mixing in my machine and then stereo out from there through outboard to tape machine if that would work.

Is this possible to do with this machine? Would I go out of the stereo speaker out into outboard gear? I am completely new to any form of digital recording but i really want to get into it... any help or clarification on how this process works would be greatly appreciated!

When I pretend my computer is a DP32, I just use groups out to my mixer - often just L, R, and Center. To me, it depends on what kind of outs you have. My old 8-channel Fostex recorder has out on each channel, etc.. If you just have Stereo out, that will have to do : ) Just get on with it. You might be able to use ADAT channels if the Tascam does ADAT. hmm... Doesn't look like it is loaded with output choices

So if I just go out either my balanced or unbalanced stereo out from my DP32 through any outboard equipment into a 2 track tape machine this should work well? Is there anything in the chain in between the DP32 and the tape machine that would be a necessity? and also... any recommendations for a good mix down tape machine?

I think the TEAC/Tascam are the bargain for well built and parts. Half-inch 2-track would be special. You might do best straight out to the tape - you have to see what gear has to offer. I don't mind running it through a EF86 or 12ax7 tube section - it's whatever YOU want.

You have to look at the condition of the heads.

If you see something that looks good for tape, ask for somebody on here to take a look at the listing, for example. My old TEAC/Ampex was cheap and I suffer some high end imbalance, but not enough for me to care about.

I would look for a deck and just see how your present gear works with it. Now, if you get individual tracks transferred to the DAW, then you have as many outs as your soundcard/interface and you can play more

THanks for the help! once i do have it mixed down to a tape deck how do I go about getting it back to the digital format?

You have to record it to digital. It has to go into one Analog to Digital Converter, or, another. If you are playing stereo games outside the box, getting that preserved may not be so easy

Export all the raw tracks to a DAW and send them from there through an interface with however many channels of output you need, and then on through your console to the 2-track recorder. Even better would be to skip the DP32 entirely.

But...why?

By itself, that could be the learning process, or, just a desire for mechanical things. Beyond that, cheaper digital doesn't seem to do spatial audio tricks very well. Same with cheap analog. With my cheap-ass budget, it's strictly a summing game using dual-mono for left and right and Center mixed in to both. I usually have a 4-buss mixer in there for dual-mono processing, but my 2-track will take 2-inputs per channel - four level knobs

Back