The Microphones - Phil Elverum

Kasey

I was just wondering if anyone here has ever heard of Phil Elverum, head of his musical 'project' The Microphones. (The name has now changed to Mt. Eerie, but nothing has really been released under the new name yet). I've had the pleasure of conversing with him through email and the guy is a genius. I'm posting this here because he uses all analog. Beyond that, he does some of the most unusual stuff with his recordings... i've learned a ton from him just by listening to his music.
It's hilarious almost the way he records. He uses a Neumann U67 to record almost everything, and then runs it through a fairly cruddy old Altec preamp... then straight to tape. no signal processors or anything - he is all about mic placement to get his sound, which i think is incredibly cool. He gets some of the most massive sounding drums ever because he records in a huge empty room, a warehouse kind of place, called Dub Narcotic in Washington.
He kind of has his own unique sound, but people have refered to him as "experimental", "indie pop", "psych-pop", etc.
you can listen to some of his stuff here: <http://www.krecs.com/Audio_Video/index.html>
it's the list of songs under the name "the microphones" (duh)

songs i'd recommend listening to include "I felt your shape", "Ice", "The Glow", and... well theyre all amazing. "Drums" is a recording of roughly 4 drum sets... and nothing else. its not really a song for enjoyment, but it's fun to listen to anyways.

i just thought you guys might enjoy listening to his music - i love it and thought you guys might too. the sound reminds me of why i love analog sound so much.

Back