Mic shootout - Best mic for my voice

rol123

2 mics-both Cardoid condensers, both list between 1000 to 1500; 2 very different manufacturers--both are large diaphragm capsules -both center terminated.

Samples are in mp3 format, recorded 24 bit, 41k both are going into a Scarlett 2i4 audio interface
Levels are matched as best I could--no pop filter, no compression, (no soundproofing)--Mic cables were identical length, same manufacturer and type

Some handling noise is present due to the fact that this was a 'quick and dirty' shootout..mics were handheld during this quick shootout.
Both mics were spaced an inch apart; both diaphragms were at the same level to each other. I spoke in-between both mics.

You be the judge.
I am thinking of selling one of the mics..had to re-check to verify there was no mix-up after recording based on what my ears were telling me. Please listen carefully.

I will reveal the results after a few comments

again, let me know which mic sounds best with my voice
thanks for your opinions

Attachments

• Mic 1 singing.mp3
    991 KB · Views: 10
  • mic 2 spoken.mp3
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • Mic 2 singing.mp3
    991 KB · Views: 11
  • mic 1 spoken.mp3
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Mic 2...but your singing is very whispered...is that how you really sing all that time...?...because if you ever actually *sing*, with a full voice, it may sound much different with each mic compared to that soft/whispered stuff.

All I hear are four identical tracks with very, very small tonal differences, that could be the mic, or eq. I really don't think one is 'better' - just a tad different, but it's so subjective as to be personal preference. Sell the one you can recoup the most money on!

I thought #1 was more natural.
There's not much in it but #2 was bassier and maybe even had some overloading or distortion in the bass?

If that's your singing voice that's cool but Miro raised a good and potentially valuable point.
Take it for what it is. ;)

Back