Maybe time for big changes

sweetbeats, I say hold on to your gear. This stuff is your passion. Its not often that we find things that we really love to engage ourselves completely in. You are a Jedi Master.

I googled Jim Finch at Tascam and read that Gibson bought a controlling interest in Teac/Tascam. Then they laid off a bunch of service and parts people, and Mr. Finch is no longer there. This could explain why the Internet says Tascam service is great but my experience has been nothing but grief.

Jim and Jimmy were great assets to Teac in Montebello, CA. I had many conversations with both of them while they were there...both of them were extremely knowledgeable and helpful...it offered great assurance to be getting info from the source, and was great you could just pick up the phone, call Teac and ask for "analog support" and get one of those guys and they's take the time to talk with you. And I called them about some pretty hairy stuff over the years. So, yes, I think it is lame what happened with that department and its people.

I can't speak to musician's gear, but in my little world of radio show/audiobook work, the newer stuff is as good or better and cheaper than 10 years ago. Maybe getting a whole new kit some time from now will be OK. And, like digital cameras and computers, what you have may drop in value sooner than you think. I was happy to have sold my Hasselblad camera before the bottom dropped out of that market. Keep your best mic, though.

(1) TimeLine Micro Lynx synchronizer, fully functional, includes multi-function remote, cabling, optional add-on cards, and spare unit and remote.

Put me down for first dibs on the Microlynx....if you decide to sell at some point.
I still use it for my MX-80/DAW sync, and spares for that kind of old gear are not bad idea.

So ....is it one or two complete units...w/PS?

Did you ever find that they can behave erratically when not in use for too long?
Sometimes mine gets a mind of its own, and it will make my MX-80 do weird shit....then when it's on for awhile, and I reboot it a couple of times, it's back to normal.
I may need to open it up and pop all the cards/EPROMs and clean the connections....but I did all that when I first got it a couple of years ago.
Otherwise, when it runs fine, it does the job.

Put me down for first dibs on the Microlynx....if you decide to sell at some point.
I still use it for my MX-80/DAW sync, and spares for that kind of old gear are not bad idea.

So ....is it one or two complete units...w/PS?

Did you ever find that they can behave erratically when not in use for too long?
Sometimes mine gets a mind of its own, and it will make my MX-80 do weird shit....then when it's on for awhile, and I reboot it a couple of times, it's back to normal.
I may need to open it up and pop all the cards/EPROMs and clean the connections....but I did all that when I first got it a couple of years ago.
Otherwise, when it runs fine, it does the job.

Miro, never had any issues with erratic operation but I haven't used it in awhile either.

Its two complete units, but only one working PSU, and that PSU is a modified ATX computer PSU. I think I still have the original PSU but its been scavenged for the cable for the custom PSU.

There are some interface cables, and the "good" system unit also has the third machine card, and the ACG card. I think I might have some video-related expansion card too.

Wow,

That MM1000 sounds like it could be amazing. Did you get the transport working pretty well? I remember you were working on that when I came down from Portland to pick up a 440 rolling cart at some point.

I know it's the size of a volkswagon, but you should hang onto that thing. I mean, digital might keep getting better, but it'll be ages, if ever, before anybody invents anything remotely close to the sound of the Ampex. I have a 440 2 track (in rolling cart thanks to you!) and it is THE sound as far as I'm concerned.

Here is the list...this doesn't mean I'm sure about letting go of any of it. This is just the list of what I have outside of instruments (guitars and drums and combo amps):

(1) Roland DC-30 monaural analog echo/chorus, recapped, fully functional
(1) Tascam RS-20B stereo analog spring reverb, recapped, fully functional
(1) Sansui RA-500 stereo spring reverb, recapped and upgraded
(5) dbx 150X 2-channel Type I dbx noise reduction, each fully functional, also have 2 upgraded rack mating kits (to join two of the half-rack units into 1U 4-channel unit)
(1) BBE 462 stereo sonic maximizer, fully functional
(1) CRL SEP400A monaural analog multi-band dynamics processor, fully functional
(1) CRL SEP400A monaural analog multi-band dynamics processor, recapped and upgraded, fully functional
(1) Yamaha DTX 2.0 electronic drum set, complete maximized set, fully functional
(1) Tascam 234 4-track multi-track cassette deck, partially recapped and upgraded, fully functional, includes 2 parts machines and RC-70 remote
(1) Tascam 238 8-track multi-track cassette deck, needs new capstan board
(1) Tascam BR-20T ¼” open-reel half-track mastering deck with center timecode track, partially recapped and upgraded, fully functional, relapped heads, includes RC-402 remote
(1) TimeLine Micro Lynx synchronizer, fully functional, includes multi-function remote, cabling, optional add-on cards, and spare unit and remote
(1) 3M M-64 ¼” open-reel half-track mastering deck, project condition, includes two headblocks, spare transport, 2 electronics modules and 3 spare electronics modules, capacitors to recap transport and electronics
(1) Alesis Quadraverb stereo digital multi-effects unit, partially recapped, fully functional, includes parts unit
(3) ART TCS stereo/dual monaural dynamics processor, fully functional
(1) Presonus Digimax FS 8-channel mic/line/instrument preamp with ADAT I/O, fully functional
(1) Yamaha 01X digital mixer/control surface/mLAN audio interface, fully functional, includes OEM Yamaha travel case
(1) Yamaha i88x 8-channel mic/line/instrument preamp mLAN audio interface with ADAT and S/PDIF I/O, fully functional
(1) AKG D112 large diaphragm dynamic microphone, fully functional
(1pr) Alesis Monitor 1 mk2 Actives 2-way biamped studio monitors, fully functional
(1) Ampex MM-1000 8/16-track 1”/2” open-reel multi-track deck, project, partially restored/upgraded, complete machine with many, many spares including electronics and headblocks (includes JRF certified upgraded 1” headblock assembly, complete spare 1” headblock assembly, complete 2” refurbished headblock assembly), cabling and hardware, includes original 16-channel remote
(1) ART Tube MP OPL monaural mic preamp
(1) Audix D-6 large diaphragm dynamic microphone, fully functional
(1) Behringer HA-4700 4-channel headphone amplifier, fully functional
(1) Behringer CX-2310 2-way/3-way/4-way stereo/monaural active crossover, fully functional
(3) Tascam LA-40mkII 4-channel bi-directional balance/unbalance +4dbu/-10dbV level matching unit, fully functional
(1) Behringer ECM8000 small diaphragm condenser calibration microphone
(1) dbx 119 analog stereo compressor/expander, recapped and upgraded, fully functional
(1) dbx 119 analog stereo compressor/expander, fully functional
(1) Digitech GNX2 multi-effects guitar pedal board, fully functional
(1) ESI SW8000 8” active subwoofer, fully functional
(1) Furman PL-8 power conditioner/distribution unit, fully functional
(2) Monster Power Pro 2500 power conditioner/distribution unit, fully functional
(1) MCI JH-416A 24 x 16 analog mixing desk, project, complete except for install wire for harnessing; “basket-case” condition
(2) Neutrik NYS-SPP-L ¼” TRS patchbay, fully functional
(1) Oktava MC-219 large diaphragm condenser microphone, modified, fully fnctional
(2) Realistic PZM boundary microphone, upgraded with Uneeda Audio preamp kit, fully functional
(3) Shure SM-57 small diaphragm dynamic microphone, fully functional
(1) Shure SM-94 small diaphragm condenser microphone, fully functional
(2) Studio Projects B3 multi-pattern large diaphragm condenser microphone, fully functional
(1) Tascam M-512 12 x 8 mixing console, fully functional
(1) Tascam MX-80 8-channel analog mic preamp, partially recapped, fully functional
(1) Tascam 12 x 8 prototype mixing console, project, complete and nearly finished

I think there is more, but not much more.

That's a long list.
I think you should keep the prototype mixer, a small multitrack & small mixdown deck.
:spank::eek:;)

Super sorry to hear that Sweetbeats, tough changes for sure.

I really don't think you should sell it, but if you decide to, I certainly would be interested in the BR-20, don't know if it's in my budget right now, but that would look real nice with my 48-8. Also would be curious about the tascam spring reverb, I have a AKG BX-5, which is cool as hell, but don't know if it's quite the flavor I'm wanting.

I've been drooling over your Tascam prototype for years, but I don't think my wife would tolerate me doing another mixing board swap any time soon. Plus you should keep that bad boy, it's sooo freaking cool. PM if you end up deciding you need to part with those two items. Cheers man!

Well I've decided on a few things to sell for sure:

Prices do not include shipping.

PM me if interested. Reasonable offers considered.

Last edited:
I wish I lived within driving distance of you, Cory. I'd snap up that MX-80 in a heartbeat! :(

A local guy had one last week for $120 CDN and I missed it by an hour. :cursing:

Cheers! :)

Damn, that MX-80 does look nice! And I'd love the chance to own a piece of Sweetbeats-restored gear...

Maybe if you still have it in the Fall when I get some extra gear money... :\

Just updated some prices and added some links to pics.

Posting this in the for sale forum as well. Will be posting on eBay and CL soon.

The Tascam MX-80 has a three prong input for phantom power. Is that a mod? Is there some sort of power supply for phantom power that goes with it? Can you plug in a mic cord from an external phantom power supply? Very interesting.

The Tascam MX-80 has a three prong input for phantom power. Is that a mod? Is there some sort of power supply for phantom power that goes with it? Can you plug in a mic cord from an external phantom power supply? Very interesting.

It's not a mod. It came that way from the factory and was designed to yes, use an xlr mic cable to an external 3rd party phantom power supply.

The MX-80 originally retailed for $700 when it was new and I guess they made a marketing decision to leave out the actual supply in order to keep that price point.

Cheers! :)

Back