Maybe time for big changes

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
With over half my take home pay going to child and spousal support I'm starting to see the mountain of audio gear as just possible extra money. Thinking of selling it all. No time or place to use it anyway.

In 2005, when I moved from a 4 bedroom townhouse with two rooms dedicated to my home project studio and then moved to a 2 bedroom apartment with pesky neighbors completely surrounding me, I quickly realized my studio gear was going to sit in a closet until I moved again or realize it was time to face reality and sell it. That decision took 4 years to finally make once I lost my job in 2009 and it took full two years to sell off the bulk of it. The money did indeed come in mighty handy and I suppose if I really wanted to rebuild another studio one day, they'll always be someone else out there who is in the same position I was in and needs to sell their treasures.

It's hard but its not the end of the world.

Good luck, Cory. :)

Cheers! :)

I feel you. I just sold all my Ampex gear ...

The money was less of a concern than the size and weight. Having all of that gear with uncertain future plans made them feel like baggage. Didn't help that my 8-track had been out of commission for over a year. Basically, now I'm starting over in a much more scaled-down way.

Hope you figure out what's best for you ... In the grand scheme of things, it's just stuff; a means to an end. Figure out what the destination is, and then find the things that serve the goal. For me, I really just want simplicity and the option of mobility.

Donny

One additional thing that should be mentioned in Cory's case. Some of the gear you have like the M___ is a one of kind piece that you put your heart and soul into restoring. That item can never be replaced! So at least hang onto that and anything else you deem as irreplaceable. Perhaps keep a smaller "essential" core of gear and sell off the rest of it.

Cheers! :)

I'm in a similar place... just too much stuff. I have about three to four times what I really need. I'm keeping the bare necessities for a fully equipped studio, but the rest is going. I won't be lacking; I just won't have things accumulation dust that I never use. (figuratively speaking of course since all my gear has dust covers)

I sold all my DAW stuff a few years back when I needed money. I'm in the rebuilding stage now...all analog. It's been wormhole after wormhole. Now I just need a few impossible cables. It's more than just money. It sucks that you have to sell gear, but you'll be making somebody really happy and hopefully its a person who will use and maintain the gear.

Cory, have you considered going into the rental business? That way you can keep your stuff and still make money with it. Another idea... and it's just a baby stage of an idea because I just thought of it. Could some of the members here help the guy out by buying some of Cory's stuff... for a while... with the option of letting him buy it back when he does have the time and money in the future. I'm thinking about the things that were real projects... to the degree of heirloom level. Someone trustworthy who would take good care of the equipment, make great recordings with it and down the road sell it back in the perfect condition in which they bought it of course. Need to think about that one for a while. Just seems shame to see all this stuff go to who knows where, never to be seen again.

Could some of the members here help the guy out by buying some of Cory's stuff... for a while... with the option of letting him buy it back when he does have the time and money in the future.

I didn't want to seem opportunistic....but since you brought it up...

It really sucks that it's come to that for him, but life has a way of making us reevaluate our directions....so if Cory needs to liquidate his audio gear, I certainly would be interested in some more details...like which pieces and what he is looking to get for them. Of course, he is on the other side of the country from me, so anything of size and weight would make things a bit difficult...though not impossible.

AFA it being some sort of temporary exchange, I'm not sure if that's realistic for him or for anyone wanting to buy. I mean, for most folks, the equipment would be used to fill a studio need, and not so much just a collectible that would/could then be sold back at some point down the road....but hey, it's his gear, so he gets to choose the terms.

Thanks, guys. Problem is significant portions of the stable are at "project" status...not fully operational and eligible for maximum return in a sale. Head is just kind of swimming I guess.

I guess I need to get a list together of what I have and what is operational and what I might actually want to sell you know? Its just a frustrating time and part of me just wants to see it all go away...and the work with it.

Last edited:
AFA it being some sort of temporary exchange, I'm not sure if that's realistic for him or for anyone wanting to buy. I mean, for most folks, the equipment would be used to fill a studio need, and not so much just a collectible that would/could then be sold back at some point down the road....but hey, it's his gear, so he gets to choose the terms.

Yeah I know... it would be tricky, but I'm always thinking outside the box... and thinking out loud ;)

Thanks, guys. Problem significant portions of the stable are at "project" status...not fully operational and eligible for maximum return in a sale. Head is just kind of swimming I guess.

I guess I need to get a list together of what I have and what is operational and what I might actually want to sell you know? Its just a frustrating time and part of me just wants to see it all go away...and the work with it.

Hope things work out for ya. I've got a few things myself that are half apart that I'm modding. I'm selling the other stuff first and worrying about the projects later.

As some of you remember I had quite a collection of Tascam gear 9 years ago. 3 388 3 22-4,s 3 38,s and alot more. " nothing like Reel" :) But quite a bit.
We ended up moving across town to a new house and i had to take all that gear out of one basement and put it in another basement. Not being a young guy anymore it kinda kicked my ass moving it all. Then I got to thinking well I have it all but Im the only one that gives a crap about any of it and decided I didnt want to have something happen to me and have my wife have to deal with that kind of mess. She wouldnt know what to do with all of it.
And I didnt want her to have to ask any of my old band people to deal with it either. So I picked my favorite 4 track recorder and 2 track along with a small mixer. I kept a old a-2340sx for listening to music on and that was it. And I havnt looked back. I have told my wife to have someone set it on the curb. That its not worth her dealing with.

Sweetbeats, I'm sorry to hear that. I've been reading your restoration stories for years now and it's inspired me to try fixing some stuff up myself, on a limited basis. Good luck with getting things back on track, and I hope you don't need to sell all your gear! I think you've garnered enough experience that if I ever had the extra cash on hand I would want to hire you to fix things for me. Maybe you can find a way to put your new skill set to good use...

Here is the list...this doesn't mean I'm sure about letting go of any of it. This is just the list of what I have outside of instruments (guitars and drums and combo amps):

(1) Roland DC-30 monaural analog echo/chorus, recapped, fully functional
(1) Tascam RS-20B stereo analog spring reverb, recapped, fully functional
(1) Sansui RA-500 stereo spring reverb, recapped and upgraded
(5) dbx 150X 2-channel Type I dbx noise reduction, each fully functional, also have 2 upgraded rack mating kits (to join two of the half-rack units into 1U 4-channel unit)
(1) BBE 462 stereo sonic maximizer, fully functional
(1) CRL SEP400A monaural analog multi-band dynamics processor, fully functional
(1) CRL SEP400A monaural analog multi-band dynamics processor, recapped and upgraded, fully functional
(1) Yamaha DTX 2.0 electronic drum set, complete maximized set, fully functional
(1) Tascam 234 4-track multi-track cassette deck, partially recapped and upgraded, fully functional, includes 2 parts machines and RC-70 remote
(1) Tascam 238 8-track multi-track cassette deck, needs new capstan board
(1) Tascam BR-20T ¼” open-reel half-track mastering deck with center timecode track, partially recapped and upgraded, fully functional, relapped heads, includes RC-402 remote
(1) TimeLine Micro Lynx synchronizer, fully functional, includes multi-function remote, cabling, optional add-on cards, and spare unit and remote
(1) 3M M-64 ¼” open-reel half-track mastering deck, project condition, includes two headblocks, spare transport, 2 electronics modules and 3 spare electronics modules, capacitors to recap transport and electronics
(1) Alesis Quadraverb stereo digital multi-effects unit, partially recapped, fully functional, includes parts unit
(3) ART TCS stereo/dual monaural dynamics processor, fully functional
(1) Presonus Digimax FS 8-channel mic/line/instrument preamp with ADAT I/O, fully functional
(1) Yamaha 01X digital mixer/control surface/mLAN audio interface, fully functional, includes OEM Yamaha travel case
(1) Yamaha i88x 8-channel mic/line/instrument preamp mLAN audio interface with ADAT and S/PDIF I/O, fully functional
(1) AKG D112 large diaphragm dynamic microphone, fully functional
(1pr) Alesis Monitor 1 mk2 Actives 2-way biamped studio monitors, fully functional
(1) Ampex MM-1000 8/16-track 1”/2” open-reel multi-track deck, project, partially restored/upgraded, complete machine with many, many spares including electronics and headblocks (includes JRF certified upgraded 1” headblock assembly, complete spare 1” headblock assembly, complete 2” refurbished headblock assembly), cabling and hardware, includes original 16-channel remote
(1) ART Tube MP OPL monaural mic preamp
(1) Audix D-6 large diaphragm dynamic microphone, fully functional
(1) Behringer HA-4700 4-channel headphone amplifier, fully functional
(1) Behringer CX-2310 2-way/3-way/4-way stereo/monaural active crossover, fully functional
(3) Tascam LA-40mkII 4-channel bi-directional balance/unbalance +4dbu/-10dbV level matching unit, fully functional
(1) Behringer ECM8000 small diaphragm condenser calibration microphone
(1) dbx 119 analog stereo compressor/expander, recapped and upgraded, fully functional
(1) dbx 119 analog stereo compressor/expander, fully functional
(1) Digitech GNX2 multi-effects guitar pedal board, fully functional
(1) ESI SW8000 8” active subwoofer, fully functional
(1) Furman PL-8 power conditioner/distribution unit, fully functional
(2) Monster Power Pro 2500 power conditioner/distribution unit, fully functional
(1) MCI JH-416A 24 x 16 analog mixing desk, project, complete except for install wire for harnessing; “basket-case” condition
(2) Neutrik NYS-SPP-L ¼” TRS patchbay, fully functional
(1) Oktava MC-219 large diaphragm condenser microphone, modified, fully fnctional
(2) Realistic PZM boundary microphone, upgraded with Uneeda Audio preamp kit, fully functional
(3) Shure SM-57 small diaphragm dynamic microphone, fully functional
(1) Shure SM-94 small diaphragm condenser microphone, fully functional
(2) Studio Projects B3 multi-pattern large diaphragm condenser microphone, fully functional
(1) Tascam M-512 12 x 8 mixing console, fully functional
(1) Tascam MX-80 8-channel analog mic preamp, partially recapped, fully functional
(1) Tascam 12 x 8 prototype mixing console, project, complete and nearly finished

I think there is more, but not much more.

The MCI 416 and Timline Microlynx are of interest. :)

I've been in general discussions with BrianK about his 636, which I think he may be planning to sell at some point...but I would still like to know what you end up wanting to do with the 416.

Miro,

I don't know if you realize just how much of a project my 416 is.

Also, the 416 series and 600 series desks are completely different fruit..apples and oranges. Actually maybe even more extreme...like apples and beef stew...both food but different food groups.

Maybe you know this already but the 600 series are much more complex than the 416 series...much more "modern" features. The 416 series in particular are quite austere by comparison. In my opinion what the 416 lacks in its feature set and physical engineering it makes up for with practically unparalleled +/-24V audio rails for massive headroom, simple circuit path for those who like to DIY and like being limited by a lack of bells and whistles like 3-band discrete stepped EQ. My understanding is, with the high power rails and requisite recapping, the simple audio path with some different options as far as modifications leaves the JH-416 series with some great sonic potential. People love it or hate it. It is not "transparent". The early JH-416 series also isn't found with more popular iron like Jensen trafos on it...but I've heard some raving about the sound after updating and restoring their JH-416. Anyway, its just completely completely different than the JH-600 series...The 600s are kind of set apart from the 400 and 500 desks. Anway, just wanted to say that since you are lumping them together in a way in your last post.

And mine is a

P
R
O
J
E
C
T

All that's really been done is to gather equipment and supplies to start putting it together, but I haven't got caps yet, and the ENTIRE wiring harness needs to be created from scratch except for the meter harness. Need a couple THOUSAND feet of wire I think. Nothing has been cleaned or serviced and its FILTHY. The legs that support the frame vanished long ago. I have the beginnings of a set fabricated...It needs three power supplies. I have one of them, and 4 24V Power One modules to create the other two bipolar 24V supplies and chassis to put them in, but we're talking fabricating and wiring, etc. etc. etc. Once everything is fabricated, cleaned, serviced, recapped, reassembled, then comes the troubleshooting which I'm sure will abound with all the reed relays. You get the picture? I'm sure its a project that will eat up hundreds if not thousands of hours.

I do get it...that your 416 is a major project and that it is a different animal...ahh fruit...whatever....than the 636. :D
I was just tossing out the curiosity hook on the 416.

To tell the truth, I'm talking with Brian and I think if we can come to a deal, I would go for his 636, especially 'cuz I know he's already done the "project" thing to it for the most part, so I would be getting a refurbnished, functional console...plus, he closer...less than half the distance than you from my location, so more realistic AFA me going to pick it up. :)

I think anybody would be wise to run from my JH-416 project to anything else. And agreed on Brian's 636. He's good people and is meticulaous with his work IMO. He has a working studio and the gear has to work...therefore the work going into the gear to make it work has to...erm...work.

Awhile back you were in a thread about building Tascam's PW-5MD ("Accessory 2") cable. You said that somebody sent you a PDF diagram from Tascam. You wouldn't happen to still have that would you? Any of the PW-5MDs left over? Any other Midiizer odds and ends?

Back