Maybe time for big changes

I did modify it though...the factory MX-80 phantom power input is an unobtanium 2-pin offset XLR jack. I replaced it with a standard 3-pin XLR jack, so you can use a standard mic cable from the output of your external phantom power supply. I have a couple of them. Might be convinced to throw one in if somebody feels like haggling with me on the MX-80.

That was a wise mod. At least it was made of unobtanium tetradontwantazine and not the similar alloy unobtanium gottahaveitate. I'll show your list to my band mates.

My experience is the rackmount stuff sells fast, then mid sized vintage mixers, r/r recorders and lastly any porta-format recording gear.

Admittedly, that's anecdotal & I'm not entirely through the process. I have trouble letting go. There's inertia & emotional attachment, but one has to try to objectively assess his/her own situation & move forward.

Nothing is forever. Life can be a struggle sometimes. Things may change beyond our control & we must adapt. I mean that in a good way.

Old habits die hard, but everyone's capable of affecting positive changes in life. No pain, no gain.
(I'm momentarily out of clichés).

:spank::eek:;)

If you had some debts to pay or needed to finance a purchase then selling off gear might make sense. But sounds like your problem is more a long term cash flow one: not enough coming in to meet your needs. Selling your gear won't help except temporarily. Soon enough you'll be back in the same situation, but without your gear and not able to afford to replace it. Keep it if you plan to use it.

Robus, I think you're forgetting that vintage gear can cost a lot to maintain or restore. Also, if he chooses to apply what is essentially "cash flow" from previous years to current expenses, maybe that works for him. Plus, when you have debts a pile of gear is just bad optics.

Debts and emergencies, I understand. But what the OP said is that half his income is going to child and spousal support. That's a cash-flow issue. Most people when faced with an income/expense problem will start looking around for assets to liquidate. That gives only temporary relief of the underlying problem and is often a mistake. At the end of the day, the person is still short of income and now has fewer assets. Good reasons to liquidate: Emergencies, debt, to build up savings, because you don't want or need the stuff, or because you would rather have different stuff. Bad reason: I'm cash poor at the moment, so I shouldn't keep all this nice stuff that is already paid for and that I own free and clear.

Just offering a different perspective.

Last edited:
Hey Sweetbeats, are you thinking of selling the MM1000? What sort of money would you be looking for?

The MM-1000 is not on the chopping block at the moment. Not sure if it will be.

Thanks for all the other comments and thoughts, guys. This experience has helped me to re-prioritize I think. Stuff is a pain to move and store...worrying about damage in storage...stuff just sitting around not being used. And so much of anything audio takes up considerable space and/or is heavy. So the changes in my life and increased fiscal demands have caused me to look at things from a different vantage point.

There are indeed some debt issues, while not made apparent in the original post, its more than a cash flow issue. I can manage the cash flow issue, but retiring debt eases cash flow issues. And then there are the above mentioned mental and physical burdens of it all. I just don't think it is in the cards for me to be in a band or running a recording studio even on the side. I enjoy music and the recording process. I think there are priorities I want to be able to approach and there is gear in my stable that doesn't fit those priorities.

I forgot to mention the Tascam 234 also includes a full set of original documentation: owner's manual, service manual, schematic set and original sales brochure...so you get those, an RC-71 remote, parts deck, and the minty 234 with new control belt, capstan belt and pinch roller assembly and a hopped up mic amp card (recapped with nichicon KT audio-grade caps and featuring Burr Brown OPA 2134 opamps)...$300. I think it is a good deal. Need to get some pics of it all and get that on CL and eBay.

I've meant to pm you to see how things were going.

I've been real scarce around here lately, not trying to hijack a thread here, but getting priorities in order, and looking around and asking myself WTF? with all the (excessive) gear I have and never really get / take the chance to use. It is extremely difficult for me to part with -insert "vintage" whatsit, that the cool SOB I am bought for $x in 19xx and is now worth $xxx, and I don't use it but can't part with it. Sometimes you just have to say fuck it, it's only stuff, and if I don't really use it, the fact that I probably can't replace it (because it would cost too much...) doesn't really matter. To paraphrase The Jam "to either cut down on gear or the kids' new gear It's a big decision ..."

I think I understand the stress of while I have this and it just needs that and I need to find the time, but before I do that I'll need to because i need that to plug into that other thing, and damn it I need to buy one of these, because that one is broken that I need to fix this one that I'll need .....I'm thinking maybe that is part of it?

Just because you don't have time for a band or a recording studio, doesn't mean you don't have a couple hours here and there to take out the drums and bang on them, or lay down some tracks on a piece of gear that isn't in the project stage. I got that advice from somebody here once. That is the place I am trying to get to. I don't have a map, but a general direction will help, and if you're going that way and need company I think there maybe others here too that'll be glad to ride shotgun.

Yeah Sweetbeats, as much as I'd like to just snatch up all your gear, I'd hate to see you get rid of anything that you'll miss/regret, and can't replace later!

Back