Maybe a silly question - type of tape for specific machines

smtcharlie

emotion over sonics
I currently record to ADAT and computer, but would love to get a tape machine of some sort. It would be worth it just to have a 2 track machine just for drums or acoustic guitar.

I recently came across an Akai X-360D, but I know little about it (and know little in general about reel to reel machines).

I know that there is 1/4", 1/2", 1", and 2" tape...but do certain machines record to only certain width of tape? Meaning, would a half inch machine only use half inch tape and nothing else?

Anybody know what kind of tape the machine above uses?

I can never get the search function to work around here, if there's another thread that covers all this (or good web sites to read background info), I'd appreciate the guidance.

Thanks,

smtcharlie

For consumer-type quarter track machines like the one you have, you should definateley use a 1-mil thickness tape. Most 1-mil tape has an operating level of +3dB, which is fairly standard.

Your best bet for fresh, high quality tape for that machine would be some 1/4" Ampex/Quantegy 407. It's 1 mil, and runs at +3dB. You could probably find some brand new 7" reels of that for about 8 to 10 bucks a pop.

Emtec makes a similar type of tape, but I don't know the model number.

There's also TONS of Scotch/3M 203 tape out there. It's good stuff, but not quite as high quality as the Ampex/Quantegy brand.

Interesting tape machine, too. The meters are kinda weird - only one notch on them to mark 0 dB. Good luck!

I should also mention that if you want the absolute best results, you should calibrate the machine. You could get a test tape from Magnetic Reference Laboratories -- It would run you about 70-80 bucks, but it's worth it.

Before you do ANYTHING, clean the heads and all metal parts of the transport with some tape head cleaner, and also clean the pinch roller w/ a water-based rubber cleaner.

THEN, grab some 407 tape and a calibration tape. Info on calibration can be found at: http://www.recordingwebsite.com/articles/tapecal.php .

Your best bet would be to find a service manual for the thing, as every machine has different quirks and tricks to calibrating it.

Good luck!

smtcharlie said:
I know that there is 1/4", 1/2", 1", and 2" tape...but do certain machines record to only certain width of tape? Meaning, would a half inch machine only use half inch tape and nothing else?

Yes, and the X-360D is a 1/4" machine. Quantegy 407 is a great tape for it.

Back