Maybe need a different power supply...

Thanks, Miro! :D:D:D

I know the PS-3500 is about 30lbs...was wondering just how much "beefier" the PS-3700 transformer is, so was wondering the weight of the PS-3700.

Anybody know?

I also figured the fully populated power supply PCB included low voltage for the automation or something like that, but was curious for specifics.

Can't help it... :o

It is for automation, yes. I'd need to crack it open to check what the voltage is...

Manual says its 20Kg, 44 pounds.

Dang.

That IS beefier.

Though I think there are additional amp stages in the M-3700...but I haven’t the schematics to prove that. I’m just judging by looking at the control surface as compared to the M-3500.

Indeed.

I really appreciate this group. Very much.

Alan sent me the schematics, and I got the PSU from Miro yesterday eve. I’ll put up some details about that in the Tascam M-__ thread in the next day or two. It’s gonna work out really nice. Huge thanks to everybody.

Daaaaaang on the umbilical though that would be too good to be true. That’s a Hirose connector...Sumicon 1600 series...same as they used on the M-520 supply...and on all the interconnects on a number of their tape machines like the 85-16, MS-16, ATR-60 series...I’ve got extra parts for the PS-520 but that’s a 20-pin connector and the PS-3500 uses a 28-pin connector. The Hirose stuff is unobtanium for years now.
I have the M-520 and PSU, but no cable. They were working (I have recorded on it), but my studio buddy gave me the mixer, PSU, and shut down the studio, having moved twice... and the cable is missing.
I have a friend who is like a badger hunting for food, and can usually find anything, but I need to give him the correct numbers.
I figured out one connector is what I believe to be a Hirose / P1620A Sumicon from your pictures posted earlier, but don't know what the other end connector would be. Can you help?
Thanks!
Starliner

It’s the same connector on both ends (20-pin Hirose Sumicon 1600 series…20-pin is what derives the “1620” number), just one end is male and the other end is female.

A few years ago Mouser actually had some of these parts in stock so include a check there in the hunt. I also found some at Canford UK as well some years back.

Why is there the need to upgrade a power supply as the power supplies were made to operate the particular item they are intended to be used with. A power supply with a lot of air inside means they made the box for something else. A better power supply will have separate Toroid transformers in it with their own bridge rectifiers. Why make a large power supply when all it will be doing is sitting. Connector wise these worked in the past but an upgrade depending on physical mounting would be something to look into but you need to know what current you are drawing through the connector- why use a tracktor connector for a couple of amps? I used to see a massive connector to charge the mule at the grocery store and it has a lot of lead batteries in it. It was probably 40 amp connector. The mule as they called it was an electric fork lift like device used on load night in a grocery store. It did not lift other than pallets.

The power supply upgrade is because the console, a prototype Tascam console from the early 80s, came to me without its power supply. I modified a PS-520 supply from an M-520 console, but because of upgrades to the console, my load tests of the PS-520 power rails and the theoretical maximum demand of the console tell me the modified PS-520 is not adequate. Plus, more recent reverse engineering of the prototype console revealed the need for a set of bipolar power rails not present on the PS-520, and there’s not enough room in the PS-520 chassis to mount a secondary power transformer for the missing rails.

It’s the same connector on both ends (20-pin Hirose Sumicon 1600 series…20-pin is what derives the “1620” number), just one end is male and the other end is female.

A few years ago Mouser actually had some of these parts in stock so include a check there in the hunt. I also found some at Canford UK as well some years back.
Thanks for the reply!
I will look into those sources.

I would simply find out what you need and build a box with the appropriate sub power blocks in it that give you what you need- it all depends on how you want to do this you can use switch power supplies or linear types. Linear types won't have switch frequencies in the supply but they will be more costly. Most switch power supplies when designed correctly will be good to be used. I had a Transmitter control section once that needed a switch power supply and the company that made the transmitter wanted like $300 for it.
I look at the label on the device called Newark and had one for about $45. It was not that large a block and it was the exact same thing as what came out of the unit plus it worked. Some companies are out there to take advantage of you IF you let them.
I would have a look at MPJA.com to start and if they don't have what you need then try the big boys like Newark or Allied or in some cases Farnell.

I would simply find out what you need and build a box with the appropriate sub power blocks in it that give you what you need- it all depends on how you want to do this you can use switch power supplies or linear types. Linear types won't have switch frequencies in the supply but they will be more costly. Most switch power supplies when designed correctly will be good to be used. I had a Transmitter control section once that needed a switch power supply and the company that made the transmitter wanted like $300 for it.
I look at the label on the device called Newark and had one for about $45. It was not that large a block and it was the exact same thing as what came out of the unit plus it worked. Some companies are out there to take advantage of you IF you let them.
I would have a look at MPJA.com to start and if they don't have what you need then try the big boys like Newark or Allied or in some cases Farnell.
See post #26. I don’t know why I would go to that trouble…the matter is resolved with the PS-3500.

Well the post 26 says nothing about you getting and using a PS3500 and who knows if that will be enough. So I will go away.

The post indicates I received the PS-3500 and based on a theoretical calculation of load demanded by the M-3500 the PS-3500 is more than adequate. That was all determined before Miro shipped the power supply to me. So that’s some more background.

Back