Maxell Tape

Rodrev

A red red fox
Hi!

I have the chance to score some Maxell tape from a local auction.

The seller has two types; MAXELL XLI 35-90B. and MAXELL XL 35-90B.

Could anybody be so kind to tell me the difference between theese? Which one should I buy for a Fostex R8 (Know that it should use 457, but it comes with the latter of the mentioned Maxell tapes)

Baard

Rodrev said:
Know that it should use 457
Let it do what it should then :)
All I personally know about maxell rolls is that they have great resale value. If you get a lot for cheap - it's a money maker. Make some cash, Then buy new tapes.

Where's Beck? He's got all the data about maxell(s) and what not. :)

Thanks!

Thank you for replying!

Your idea sounds swell. tapes->cash->tapes. (But I dont think I have the guts to sell something with much advance to a fellow reel-lover) :)

I know that it should use what the manual says, but as many have told me, its not like that in the real world. 457 is expensive, and comes from overseas. Here in Norway I cant find anyone that supplies fresh tape. Im planning to buy that when my recording gets more serious.

Anyway, I thought this tape could come in handy as spare, and for experimentation with other machines. It also makes it possible to do a (perhaps not so serious) project on the fly, when friends are around without using heavy cash on tapes.

So anyone: Whats the difference? Both the Maxell and Quantegy is bios-compatible (?), and should run flawlessly on the R8(??), (the previous owner tells me so, and he has used both the Maxell and Q457.) And can theese tapes go sticky? (edit: After reading the great SSS-help thread I now know that Maxells dont go sticky)

I hope Beck has something to say about this then:) Thanx again. You guys are fab!

Any answer appreciated :)
Baard

Last edited:
The answering was blowing in the wind

Now that I get the search-function to work, I see that almighty Beck already has answered my question in the previous thread " What's the BEST replacement for Maxell UD 35 tape ? (Last word)"

Thanks anyways, should have been more patient and browsed the forum some more before asking :)

This forum and its inhabitants are surely increasing the life and availability to analog gear!

Cheers!
Baard

Rodrev said:
457 is expensive, and comes from overseas.
winds don't blow the same way forever.

HERE - that's "457" ,
Where's The Netherlands on the map? :confused: ;)

Attachments

• NL.jpg
    NL.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 120
How many roads must a man walk down

lol!

I guess overseas was going a bit too far. Thank you for pointing it out ;)

I think Ill buy just a few reels of the Maxell tape and rather save my money for fresh, clean tape. Im interrested in testing it anyways, if not just to hear for myself if the tape sounds different. Ive also read that the Maxell tapes have a weaker frequency response (?). Perhaps this isnt something to worry about with the R8? I know that it isnt the most responsive of the home machines out there..

And I do believe Netherlands is the place on your map with most "fog" :D

Rodrev said:
And I do believe Netherlands is the place on your map with most "fog" :D
that's not my map :)
also, according to my observation of the earth (not from the above, but rather from where I'm) - the most "fog" commonly is in the head.
seriously, though
Quantegy is going down the hell. RMG (International!, - but of course :p ) is on the raise. The question is: what's availability of it in Europe? What prices look like? I thought it's easier to see it from somewhere around Oslo, than from around NY. So, what's the picture out there?
btw, I have to correct your formula spelling:
it's not: tapes->cash->tapes,
it's: tapes1->cash->tapes2+extra cash for ice-cream :D

Dr ZEE said:
that's not my map :)
also, according to my observation of the earth (not from the above, but rather from where I'm) - the most "fog" commonly is in the head.
seriously, though
Quantegy is going down the hell. RMG (International!, - but of course :p ) is on the raise. The question is: what's availability of it in Europe? What prices look like? I thought it's easier to see it from somewhere around Oslo, than from around NY. So, what's the picture out there?
btw, I have to correct your formula spelling:
it's not: tapes->cash->tapes,
it's: tapes1->cash->tapes2+extra cash for ice-cream :D
Indeed it is! And especially in the head of a poor n00b trying to figure his ways through the technology of his parents. (Im 26 and already I cant stand some digital recordings. Bet Ill die while trying to wind my 78-player, lol)

As for the European situation of tape, you have inspired me to do some more serious research! Ill phone around a bit and send some mails to see what I can dig up. Theres an all-analog studio about 8 hours from me, they must be changing brand theese days. I hope to record there some day as well :)

Here they are, if you are interested: http://www.athleticsound.no/

Your math makes sense. Altho, id rather get some beers than ice-cream. Norway is cold enough theese days! :cool:

One more thing: I have this tape lying around labelled Scotch 220. I know this isnt good tape for serious stuff, but can anybody tell me what kind of tape it is? Cant find anything on the forum or the net.. Been using it with a Radionette multirecorder to warm up mellotron so far, and it seems to work swell. Lots of dropouts tho, but its probably the recorders fault, and I kinda like it! :o

Baard

XL and XLI 35-90B are the same formulation. The "I" was added when Maxell came out with a high bias EE formulation and called it XLII. XL/XLI is closer to 407 than 457. I like 407 a bit better, but the Maxell is one of my favorites.

Last edited:
:)

Thanx Beck! Ill check both out then, if only to learn from it. :)

What about the Scotch 220? Have you any experience with it?

I see. This one is not backcoated, and not sticky as I can tell. Im no expert, and has no experience on it, but after what Ive been reading on this forum, this tape shows no signs of it.

My guess is that Scotch 220 is a standard Long Play Hifi tape. I like the sound of it tho. Its quite crispy and clear in its own strange way. Bet it would make a nice tape echo :)

Rodrev said:
Thank you for replying!

Your idea sounds swell. tapes->cash->tapes. (But I dont think I have the guts to sell something with much advance to a fellow reel-lover) :)
SNIP
Baard

If I had a chance to buy a bunch of Maxell I would. And then I would sell it at a profit.

I used to use Maxell almost all the time. I cannot explain why it sells for a premium but it does. I guess that the reason is that some few people out there hear something in it that they want and are willing to pay sometimes twice as much for. More power to them.

I do not recall any Maxell tape ever having Sticky Shed (Beck?) so it should be good tape without fail.

You would not be soaking a fellow analog head but rather supplying a select and exclusive client with a rare and valuable item. Consider it a service you should be well paid for.

-E

Rodrev said:
My guess is that Scotch 220 is a standard Long Play Hifi tape. I like the sound of it tho. Its quite crispy and clear in its own strange way. Bet it would make a nice tape echo :)

I've never seen 220, but Scotch had so many model numbers at one time it's hard to know them all. It may be similar to 228/229 Highlander. That is non-backcoated stuff that I use for hi-fi... pretty nice sounding tape.

And by the way, Maxell is one tape that doesn’t have sticky shed. I have UDXL 35-90B from the late 70’s and it performs as well as when it was new. XL and XL1 can go for stupid money on eBay. It’s not as bad as it was when Maxell stopped making open reel tape a few years ago. Then there was a rush and everybody had to have it. It’s settled down a bit now, but still fetches a good price.

The problem for the recording community is we find ourselves in bidding wars with hi-fi audiophiles over this stuff. Great for sellers, but a royal pain when you just want to score some tape at a reasonable price to feed your R8, 388 or whatever… :)

Maxell was more popular for open reel when I was younger... around here anyway.

Hi Beck!

Perhaps 220 is a european or scandinavian version of the 228/229? It sounds swell in my ears. Guess Ill keep it around until I get a decent 3 head deck.

As for the Maxell, I totally missed out on it. I wont hesitate the next time!

And Dr. Zee: I checked out some shops here in Norway, but I cant find anyone selling neither Quantegy or RMGI. I did find a shop in sweden who sells Quantegy (at least for some time yet), but their price is over doublethe price offered at USrecordings. Ill keep digging.

Any other Scandinavians and other Europeans who happens to read this thread is hereby encouraged to share his/her experiences on getting tape locally :)

And evm1024, thanx for your input. It is indeed a more sophisticated way to look at it.

Once again, many thanks to this forum and its users. You are a most valuable resource!

Back